Tents

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sallar55

Veteran
Tofay met a girl in a cafe, asked if we knew the best way to repair a rip in a tent. . Said in an emergency gaffer tape or a go to a good camping or caravan shop for a waterproof tape.
MSR tent with a 1metre rip in the flysheet, last week we had big winds off the Atlantic.
I now know that some ripstop flysheets are not as strong as others.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Are you sure she wasn't giving you another message ;)

OP
OP
S

Sallar55

Veteran
Cycletourists /bikepackers or whatever,we always talk to cyclists going the other way. Only way to find out what's true,never believe all the reviews/ internet posts for places ahead.😲.
Tent looked like the rest of her gear almost new, we had a small section of tape but the rip was 300mm longer so no use. The stitching would be taped to waterproof the tent and stronger than the rest of the flysheet

Last edited:

rualexander

Legendary Member
My old Hilleberg Stalon got ripped on the roof a few years ago when a small branch came down during a storm in France.
The fabric was weakened by UV degradation.
Stitched it up with dental floss and put gaffer tape over it with another row of stitching to hold the tape in place, and sealed the stitch holes with puncture repair glue.
Held up for the next three weeks with a couple of very wet days/nights.
If I was doing it at home I would use Spinnaker tape and seal the edges with seam sealer (a technique I've used to repair holes in a down sleeping bag after a mouse attack).

Attachments

• DSCF8950.jpg
    DSCF8950.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCF8951.jpg
    DSCF8951.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCF8958.jpg
    DSCF8958.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 2023-07-16_12-18-42.jpg
    2023-07-16_12-18-42.jpg