Tern

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Neilers

Hi all,

I recently bought a Tern P24h bike off ebay. Its was described as being in full working order. however, since I the very first spin, the 3rd gear of the sturmey archer CS-RF3 hub slips randomly which is very frustrating, especially in busy traffic. I have tried to adjust it myself and taken it too my local bike mechanic who has years of experience in Sturmey Archer hubs and the problem still persists. I have also done some googling and it appears that lots of P24h owners have had the same problem. I am now at my wits end as I appear to have bought a donkey that possibly needs a whole new rear wheel/ hub.

Does any one have any advice with the same bike or hub? should I go back to the guy I bought it off on Ebay? Halp!

Thanks

Last edited:

chriscross1966

Über Member
Could it be the freehub that is slipping and not the gears in the hub?

OP
OP
N

Neilers

Hi thanks for the reply. No it's definitely the hub. It only happens when in 3rd gear even though it's adjusted properly. So annoying!

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I appreciate this isn't an answer, but can you live without the top gear on the hub? Possibly with a change of cassette?
I tried to find some specs, but it was apparently only made for a year or two before being replaced by the Venge27 using the Sachs DualDrive.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
A tip I got to free up a 3 spd SA was to fill the hub as far as possible with WD40. Leave for about a week giving the wheel a spin and working the gear change every day. Empty out as far a possible then put in normal car oil. Do not use 3 in 1 as this apparently leaves a residue which can cause similar problems to yours.

12boy

Guru
The thing that puzzles me is that 3rd gear on regular SA 3 speeds is the one with no tension on cable. Don't see how the mechanism could tighten itself so to speak and I would be interested to know what the outcome turns out to be. If you disconnected the gear indicator chain from the hub the bike should be in 3rd all the time. If it is not, there must be something broken within the hub. If it does stay in 3rd and does not slip that would lead to an incorrect tension on the cable. Perhaps, as The Doctor suggests you live with it being in 3rd but not skipping, at least for a while.

Reactions: mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Had you adjusted it so that the indicator rod is aligned? Explanation with pictures at http://workingoncycles.blogspot.co.uk/2011/03/raleigh-twenty-sturmey-archer-gear.html (assuming the CS-RF3 is set up similar to the venerable AW).

If so, it may mean that someone's fitted the wrong length rod, which would be rather annoying.

Top Bottom