Terry Hall RIP.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity

"Our Lips Are Sealed" is a song co-written by Jane Wiedlin, guitarist of the Go-Go's, and Terry Hall, singer of the Specialsand Fun Boy Three.

It was first recorded by the Go-Go's as the opening track on their album Beauty and the Beat(1981) and was their debut American single in June 1981. The single eventually reached the top 5 in Australia and Canada, and the top 20 in the United States. Although originally written and performed with three verses,[2] an abbreviated version of the song appears on Beauty and the Beat. Although most of the song's lead vocals are performed by usual lead singer Belinda Carlisle, co-writer Wiedlin sings the bridge.

In 1983, Hall's band, Fun Boy Three, released their version of "Our Lips Are Sealed". Issued as a single, the track became a top ten hit in the United Kingdom, besting the recording by the Go-Go's which only made it to No. 47 in the UK.

I didn't know about this [their romance] until I saw a lovely tweet from Jane over the weekend.
ā€œ...
He was a lovely, sensitive, talented, and unique person. Our extremely brief romance resulted in the song Our Lips Are Sealed, which will forever tie us together in music history.ā€

If I had to choose a version, it would Fun Boy Three's - the GoGo's vocals are just too perky!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/b03f0lvc
Released On: 20 Oct 2013Available for 29 days
Following the sad news of Terry Hall's passing, another chance to hear Specials frontman Terry Hall discussing his musical milestones with Matt Everitt in a programme first broadcast in 2013.

As frontman of the Specials Terry Hall was totally at odds with other pop stars of the time. After leaving the band at the height of their fame in 1981, Terry went on to from Fun Boy Three and the Colourfield - before embarking on a career that's seen him work with the likes of Damon Albarn, Lily Allen, Sinead O'Connor and leap from style to style in way few artists do (or can). All while maintaining this deadpan sense of humour and his own unique vocal style.

Terry didn't often do interviews, but in this show he talks about his early musical loves growing up in Coventry, the early days and huge success of the Specials and the in-fighting and pressures that led him to quit the band.

He also discusses his passion for Patti Smith and Easy Listening, working with Albarn as a member of Gorillaz and his experience suffering a breakdown and the reasons for getting the Specials back together for their triumphant gigs in 2008 and his plans to start writing songs again.

I was lucky enough to be quite near the front when Amy Winehouse suddenly appeared for 'Ghost Town' .... V-Fest 2009. The whole set was magic to be fair, and Terry was, as always, the coolest guy there that day.
1671637900867.png

DRM

Guru
It was a shock to hear this, despite being into metal & rock at school, I didnā€™t mind the 2 tone stuff and think that Ghost Town & Too Much Too Young summed up being a teenager in late seventies/early eighties Britain, and certainly remember school mates at the School disco in Harrington jackets, Fred Perry polos and Pork Pie hats, itā€™s like a bit of your past has died as well

Top Bottom