Terry Hall RIP.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Let's have a bit of music then.

View: https://youtu.be/lgCZN1rU5co

That song, every time I hear it, instantly takes me back to August 1979 and my time at Glasgow Nautical College. Great days, and the music of the time was a big part of that. Thanks for the memories, Terry Hall :notworthy:.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Heck, that's a shock! 'Died after a short illness' always makes me think it was cancer. I saw the Specials on their Two Tone tour about 1979/80, when they appeared at Blackburn's Golden Palms nightclub with I think it was The Beat and er...someone else.🤔

Madness, Specials, Selecter was the first 2-Tone tour IIRC. Saw them too, in Exeter, where at the time black music and black people were a rarity...a night to remember, music we felt we could dance to....

Sad day 😞

Last edited:

Kingfisher101

Über Member
The Specials....
It is with great sadness that we announce the passing, following a brief illness, of Terry, our beautiful friend, brother and one of the most brilliant singers, songwriters and lyricists this country has ever produced.

Soundrack of my youth.Sad News

Sad and 63 is no age these days. The above statement though is a bit of a stretch I think.

yello

Some get to you more than others. This one sat me down, tears in my eyes.

His lyrics/singing often hung and haunted. I never knew 'Well Fancy That' was personal experience. Chilling, horrifying. The 'Waiting' album is one of my favourite ever. Such a talented man, gut punch, I feel I've grown with him, checking in periodically over the decades.

Today's listening will be dedicated to him. 'Encore' now, 'Laugh' next... Colourfield.... the list a testiment to his talent as a song writer.

Last edited:
Let's have a bit of music then.

View: https://youtu.be/lgCZN1rU5co

Although I was was a big prog rock fan - Genesis, Pink Floyd, Supertramp, Led Zeppelin etc. I really liked ska/two tone music/bands, none more so than The Specials with their non- stop energy and sound.

Another sad day for music lovers when their heroes, especially when they’re about the same age as us, exit the stage. 😢

Last edited:
OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
Screenshot_20221220-084849-851.png

As a 12 year old kid buying this single on 7inch vinyl in 1980 changed everything.Skinhead Symphony on the B side never failed to liven a party up ! Sta press trousers,Fred Perry,Loafers,Ear pierced and off to big school.
Don't know anyone of my friends that wasn't mad on ska in those days...Good times.

stephec

Legendary Member
Was never a fan, not my style of music at all, but terribly sad news. The band spearheaded a musical movement. No easy feat.

Same here, I was into, and still am, metal at that time but Ghost Town was one I loved the first time that I heard it.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Terry Hall is no way in the same league as people like Paul Heaton and Paul Weller. :laugh: People like to be nostalgic about the past including the 80s etc thats all it is....:laugh:

Top Bottom