Terry Hall RIP.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Terry Hall is no way in the same league as people like Paul Heaton and Paul Weller. :laugh: People like to be nostalgic about the past including the 80s etc thats all it is....:laugh:

As a lyricist I would disagree. I was listening to Stereotype this morning and it made me realise that Happy Hour by the Housemartins was essentially the same topic, but written years later by Heaton. I have a lot of time for bands that manage to work social commentary into decent songs. I think Hall, Weller and Heaton were the best at that in the era

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Gobsmacked to hear the news. Very sad. Ghost town is obviously iconic but he did an absolute ton of other stuff. Saw the Specials once, or maybe twice. I was never very good at remembering what I'd seen the night before in those days, so it's a bit of a stretch trying to remember after 40 or so years.

stephec

Legendary Member
Gobsmacked to hear the news. Very sad. Ghost town is obviously iconic but he did an absolute ton of other stuff. Saw the Specials once, or maybe twice. I was never very good at remembering what I'd seen the night before in those days, so it's a bit of a stretch trying to remember after 40 or so years.
Is that because you were on the Special Brew? ^_^

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Gobsmacked to hear the news. Very sad. Ghost town is obviously iconic but he did an absolute ton of other stuff. Saw the Specials once, or maybe twice.
I don't usually have a strong reaction to the R.I.P. threads but I was upset by this news.

I have mentioned before that the band members used to drink at the same pub as me in Coventry. I have vague memories of seeing Terry Hall chatting there in his late teens, before the Specials became famous. In fact, I think they were still the Coventry Automatics then. Somehow, a few decades slip by and he is dead... Very sad!

I saw them play at Coventry Technical College (The Butts). Rumour has it that that was a great gig, but I'd had rather too much to drink so I don't have lasting memories of that night***. :sad:

*** I just had a flashback to 2 of my friends standing in the queue to get in and carrying a bag of magic mushrooms. They disappeared soon afterwards, having taken far too many. Apparently, they spent the gig hiding in a large bush down the road, suffering from terrifying hallucinations! :laugh:

Cavalol

Guru
As a punk rocker with a motorbike at the time, I couldn't stand (what I saw as) 'mods' nor the music. The one exception was The Specials, can remember being blown away by 'Ghost Town' then everything else I heard from them.

Honestly don't think they had a close rival at the time (though The Selecter were brilliant) in any genre. Terry Hall's passing is a very sad time. RIP, Mr Hall, taken far too young.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Coming from happy smiling forever sunny Devon, songs like Ghostown, and Too much too young, made me realise that not so far away my generation was living a very different life experience. Those songs hit home....

Like @ColinJ said, today's news has affected me more than most deaths of people I don't actually know....

Last edited:

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
84F8C5CE-B9B4-41B1-ACEE-9DB9209A679D.jpeg
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-64050002

yello

Like @ColinJ said, today's news has affected me more than most deaths of people I don't actually know....

The reaction I had as well. I wonder why. It caught me out. If you'd have asked me beforehand, I wouldn't have predicted my reaction. I've no real idea why it has affected me as it has. I guess because Terry Hall was kind of 'part of my furniture'; perhaps not seen on a daily basis but the absence leaves a space.

Top Bottom