Tesco 1W LED flashlight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Coco

amaferanga said:
If it was the same then running off the same batteries it'd be 3W and not 1W surely?

Not necessarily. Power (Watt) = Current (Amps) x Voltage (V)

So voltage and Power can stay the same if the current changes.

tyred

Legendary Member
I find they are an excellent light but don't have a long life. Any of the ones I had started to flicker over bumps. Very annoying really.

nigelb

Damn, knew I was supposed to measure something last night, sorry.

Regards reliability, the cases are ali, so I can see with the continuous unscrewing/rescrewing to charge the batteries every day they're going to get loose, but I've been using mine since approx April (only when its dark, though), must have done 30+ runs with them (7 miles each), no probs so far (and some in the rain, no extra protection on the torch).

Nige

Norm

I don't get the point of posting pix of lights. There are so many variables in taking a picture, all of which revolve around the basic exposure equation, that you could take two sets of pix of the same lights and make them look very different. Unless you have a fixed point of reference (lumens, measured accurately, for instance) or a fixed set up (universally applied shutter speed & aperture) then photos of lights are irrelevant.

Aren't they?

yenrod

Norm said:
I don't get the point of posting pix of lights. There are so many variables in taking a picture, all of which revolve around the basic exposure equation, that you could take two sets of pix of the same lights and make them look very different. Unless you have a fixed point of reference (lumens, measured accurately, for instance) or a fixed set up (universally applied shutter speed & aperture) then photos of lights are irrelevant.

Aren't they?

Norm i'd just like to know what they look like ;)

It doesnt have to be lit

Norm

Ah, ok then, I apologise. ;)

Most (such as the thread devoted to such things) seem to consider pix to be a way of judging between two different set ups.

nigelb

That one runs on C cells.

The ones I'm using are straight off a Tesco's shelf, ~£8, and run on 2 AA cells.

Regards piccies, I had also been wondering about their value.
I will try to get some piccies with fixed aperature/exposure, of nothing, my CatEye, 1 torch and 2 torches. (just not that easy to organise!)

Nige

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Oh, so it does. Well, it's similar enough.
Shame they don't still do the Cree 3W version - that kicks the ass of most bike lights short of AyUps IMHO.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
There are obviously as good, and better, torches out there, but the surely the point is the amazingly low price when compared to similar ones.

nigelb

Ok, the £8 Tesco ones draw 0.75A each.

Anyway, is a "3W" led one that consumes 3W, or one that produces 3W of light?

I'll see how the evening goes regards piccies, but as a rough idea, its approx 40' from my back door to the shed, with no torch you can just about make out the shadow that there's something there, with the torch, you can see the way its constructed, that it needs another coat of proofer, there's a dead honeysuckle plant trying to grow up one corner etc.
A CatEye HL-500 lights the shed up a bit, gives maybe 1/3 of the illumination (no sign of the honeysuckle or any detail on the texture of the wood).
The CatEye certainly lights up the surrounding area more, so is prob much better for being seen.

Nige

Top Bottom