Tesco 3w Cree torch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Pig

Just an update.

I popped down and bought one of these the other day. As yet I've not fitted it to my bike but as a torch, if you'll excuse the pun, it is brilliant!

We've got a Mini Maglite AA and also a large D battery Maglite torch in the house, both are nearly new. Even with brand new batteries in them the Tesco torch leaves them both for dead. It's a great torch, hight recommended.

Bugger me, a Tesco's torch thread!
:tongue:

What batteries are you using in it Piggie?
eusa_doh.gif

Apparently Noodley uses his to walk his dog. I imagine he twists it through the collar and then kind of stoops down:wacko:

Whilst you're in there, go to the cycling bit and get...

The £2.66 mini velcro rear bike lights.

Put them under your LH bar pointing rearwards (flat bars) or under your STI (drop bars) and set to pulse mode.

Brilliantly bright and helps to make you "big" after dark.

Forum peer pressure has caused me to buy one of these cree things. I'll have to go and read the other threads to see how to mount 'em now and what all the fuss is about the batteries.

I looked at those mini lights Cheadle. I might go back and get them now I've re-read your post.

upandover

Guru
I've mounted two of my torches using innertube, copying the design of this:
http://www.brighterlight.co.uk/products/nite-ize/literide.htm

It also works with a piece of my 25 tyre, holds the torch rock solid, and is easily movable. Because it wraps completely around the bar, it avoids scratching etc as well.

Won't look as good as a lockblock, but work well. Hope this is helpful to some.

Cheers
Steve

upandover

Guru
As a slight Tangent to this thread, I picked up one of my favourite torches that's been lying around since the camping season finished, to try out as a helmet light, and I'm very impressed.

It's this one here. At the price £12 (normally £20) it's comparable to the Tesco torch. The light is larger though in surface area, and while it won't throw quite as far or as focused a spot, does light up the ground very nicely, and is VERY visible to other cars. The side vision also seems better than Tesco's, and while not as good as my cateye, is quite impressive. It was enough on my lit commute to make sure I saw all of the puddles/potholes etc. The 21 LED's give out 5 lumens each, so I'm not sure if you can just add those up, but it does sine incredibly brightly.

I've mounted it on my helmet and as well as lighting up signs better than I've ever seen, one glance at motorists on roundabouts etc, was enough to be sure they had seen me. It had enough spread to make the odd reflective vests of drivers coming towards me light up, without seeming to compromise their vision.

I've now used mine with cheap rechargables [all I could find, I think my good ones must be in children's toys! :evil:] for three hours, and it's still going strong (at about two hours it lost about 10% brightness - but is still very powerful), and I imagine it has another hour or more in it. For me three hours is two fully dark commutes, so that works out better than Tescos.

Either way - a simple recommendation. I've now ordered another one for the other side of my helmet.

Cheers

Steve

helmet tester

anyone? i have a similar torch and want to attatch it to my lid. (lots of money on panniers etc this month so this will do until i can afford a proper headlight) So, how do you attatch a torch to your helmet ?

Tynan

Veteran
the reviews on Amazon suggest that it's not robust, doesn't sound the thing for a bike light

Top Bottom