Tesco cycling tool

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkF

Guru
Just looking at the cycling stuff in Tesco today and the cycling tool caught my eye, I lost my last one when my bike was nicked. I stood there thinking about buying it whilst looking at the throwover panniers that I bought last year. These disintegrated in 5 weeks and I was told by the staff that they were only guaranteed for one month! Can you believe that?:biggrin:

So.......although I wanted one, I knew it was going to be crap, I'd be disappointed but I did need one, I still had to fine tune the fit of my new bike. I thought about it and thought about the panniers fiasco and all the arguing and took the plunge and bought it.

I went for a ride, wanted to lower the seat a tad, pulled out my Tesco tool from my bar bag and a little nut fell off it. I watched it bounce off the frame, moved to catch it and missed, the nut hit the road and slipped down a drain, the tool fell apart and the road was covered with cheap tools, 2 black plastic case pieces and numerous washers.

It lasted 2 seconds, is this a record?

At least you have the satisfaction of being proved right.
:biggrin:

yenrod

Secret here is to put some thread-lock on threads of the bolt that holds all the individual 'keys' or just tighten em reg. :biggrin:

Sorry for being 'smart arse on this ! :biggrin:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
yenrod said:
Secret here is to put some thread-lock on threads of the bolt that holds all the individual 'keys' or just tighten em reg. :biggrin:

Sorry for being 'smart arse on this ! :biggrin:

Buy cheap...buy twice.

Tynan

Veteran
tools are a bad thing to go cheap on, there's no cheap way to make hard well made metals

so anything like screwdrivers, drills, spanners, allen keys etc that you can imagine relying on to loosen/tighten something urgently ...

don;t use something liable to strip or fail

Cab

Surely something like those throwover panniers, if they disintegrate after five weeks, then they were not fit to fulfill the purpose for which they were sold, and whether or not Tescos guarantee just a month they would have been obliged to give you the money back because the merchandise was faulty?
Or am I living in a dream world?

Danny

Legendary Member
cyclebum said:
I have been even more of a skinflint, till I got told off by Mickle for using old Ikea tools!!! :biggrin:

I always carry an Ikea allen key with me. I never realised this was in breach of the Mickle laws of cycling:ohmy:

OP
OP
MarkF

MarkF

Guru
Cab said:
Surely something like those throwover panniers, if they disintegrate after five weeks, then they were not fit to fulfill the purpose for which they were sold, and whether or not Tescos guarantee just a month they would have been obliged to give you the money back because the merchandise was faulty?
Or am I living in a dream world?

Of course I got some new ones foc, I howled and whinged until I got them! But I kid you not, they tried to tell me that they carried a one month guarantee and "what did I want them to do"?:biggrin:

I have since bought some decent panniers and clip ons from S&S and it makes you realise just how shoddy the Tesco ones are, particularly the stitching and the cardboard inner.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I bought one of the Tesco multi tools - mine has so far been OK but I've never used it - for emergencies only - TBH I've not needed any tools out on the road other than for the fairy visits, but then I'm anal about the maintenance on the bikes. I need locking up !

Dannyg said:
I always carry an Ikea allen key with me. I never realised this was in breach of the Mickle laws of cycling:ohmy:

Yup. Cheap tools have a nasty habit of rounding off your nuts. Saddlebums binder was completely rounded out.

(One of these days I'll be spouting off on matters technical and someone will prove me wrong and I'll be so embarrassed that I'll have to disappear and re-register with a new user name. :smile:)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Mickle - I'm watching...so far so good....heh heh.

Shimano tools and Camp****lo :smile: tools in my tool box....wouldn't use anything else.....

Top Bottom