Tesco cycling tool

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nilling

Über Member
My father-in-law got me a box spanner off car boot. It was made from metalique (metal look-a-likey) and eventually snapped on first job grrrr...

funnymummy

A Dizzy M.A.B.I.L
I've been using the 8 quid asda (bell) tool for about a year now and it seems robust enough

I've had one for longer then i can remember & its never let me down :biggrin:

I do have a full set of good tools at home, but for my saddle bag I only keep cheap tools in it - If i'm leaving it attched to the bike will popping in & out of shops I am not going to give some thieving toe-rag the luck of walzting off with my good tools!

Davidc

Guru
I have a couple of those Z shaped Ikea allen keys in my saddlebag tool kits. One 4 and one 5 or 6 (forgotten which) mm.

They've come in useful a couple of times for undoing the non QR skewers on my wheels. I wouldn't use them for anything other than light low torque jobs. I also keep a reasonable quality multitool - too fiddly for the wheels - and a Halfords kit with puncture repair stuff plus a multi-spanner in the saddlebags but have rarely needed anything but the tyre levers and the Ikea thing.

For home use and proper maintenance I'd never use anything but good quality mid-range tools which will last well and not damage the components they're working on.

oldroadman

Veteran
You wouldn't buy groceries and furniture from a proper tool supplier, so why but tools from grocers and furniture shops. Simple wisdom, born of experience. Most "cycling" stuff from the categories above, plus Halfords, is likely to be cheap and not so cheerful. Decent quality tools last a lifetime, looked after. Cheap tools last until you need them to be used as tools. Then you go buy something decent.
"The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten".

subaqua

What’s the point
the tesco tool is OK for the allen keys spanner and screwdrivers , the case acts as tyre levers which are Ok also.

the chain splitter is terrible, and the pin bent on 1st attempt at splitting the chain on wifes BSO

Rebel Ian

There's a fantastic John Ruskin quote about buying from the cheapest source. I couldn't find it but found this one instead. Wise words!!

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey."

John Ruskin

Rebel Ian

Found the full quote.....

"It is unwise to pay too much. But it is worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money; that is all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything because the product you bought is incapable of doing what it was bought to do.

The common law of business prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. It can’t be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run. And if you do that, you would have enough to pay for something better. There is hardly anything in this world that someone can’t make a little worse and sell a little cheaper-and people who consider price alone are this man’s lawful prey."

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Come on then, recommendations for a tool so that this tool can retire her "found 'em in the bottom of my tool box, no idea where they came from" allen keys...

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Have used a Tesco chain tool. OK on Tesco chains but broke when it saw a shimano chain. The Bell Multi-tool I had from ASDA proved to be pretty good but an adjustable spanner acted as though it was made of cheese. It is true that you get what you pay for.

Top Bottom