Tescos spawn of the devil

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Checking my bank statements every month and wonder why i`m skint, brings me to the conclusion that tescos are getting far too much of my money !! :blush: You cannae just go in for a few pints of milk, no you got come out with all the BOGOF`s as well :smile:. Its like they hypnotise you as you come into the shop, maybe just me mind :sad: Anyway from this day on, the wife has decreed that the weekly shop will be done online, so won`t be taken in on all the offers.

I got the bug for home delivery the other night...to use up an evoucher or something likewise named. Got 6 bottles of Mercier NV champagne and 6 of reasonable rosé for 54 squid. They made nothing out of me...oh no! (John Major voice):smile:

longers

Legendary Member
I agree completely Mr Grumpy. They are the best of the supermarkets for getting me to part with more money than I intended spending.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Tesco are scum. they've just opened up an unnecessary 24hour job near me (so the fecking lights are on all night) when there's two other supermarkets within a 11/2 mile radius of it AND a fecking petrol station OPPOSITE another petrol station that's been there for years. Scum scum scum scum scum. And failsworth council aren't much better for letting them do it either the spinless bunch of twunts.

dan_bo said:
Tesco are scum. they've just opened up an unnecessary 24hour job near me (so the fecking lights are on all night) when there's two other supermarkets within a 11/2 mile radius of it AND a fecking petrol station OPPOSITE another petrol station that's been there for years. Scum scum scum scum scum. And failsworth council aren't much better for letting them do it either the spinless bunch of twunts.
they're convenient though! :smile:

domtyler

Über Member
Bit patronising I know, but; Tesco are a business, businesses exist in order to make money, they need that money to pay their staff their wages, for their buildings, to buy stock and to make profit for their shareholders who have been kind enough to invest in their business.

To complain that they are doing what they can to make money is nonsense then. You may as well complain that dogs are barking or babies are crying.

Arch

Married to Night Train
You just have to choose not to buy stuff you don't want.:smile:

I 'did' Sainsburies last night, picked up just the stuff I needed, and had a good look at the various 'reduced to clear' shelves, but there was either nothing cheap enough/that I'd use anyway. On the other hand, sometimes, I strike gold and get something useful for half the price I'd pay normally.

Even better, two weeks ago, I got a block of pate that had mistakenly been reduced with a batch that was about to go out of date, but this one still had a week to go on the useby date...

It was while perusing the 'reduced groceries' that I discovered that you can now get special gravy in sachets, to pour over dog food.... :blush:

barq

Lots of good points raised so far. Myself I try not to go food shopping when hungry and try to work from a list rather than impulse buying. Retailers have spent years employing armies of psychologists to research the purchasing habits of customers, where best to place products and so on. Whilst I agree it is our individual responsibility not to get carried away, Tesco and the like are very good at manipulating us. Much as I dislike it, I kind of admire how clever they are!

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
domtyler said:
Bit patronising I know, but; Tesco are a business, businesses exist in order to make money, they need that money to pay their staff their wages, for their buildings, to buy stock and to make profit for their shareholders who have been kind enough to invest in their business.

To complain that they are doing what they can to make money is nonsense then. You may as well complain that dogs are barking or babies are crying.

Yes that is a tad patronising Dom, but there is a difference between a business and a megalomaniac empire of facist doom. Surely you are able to discern.

domtyler

Über Member
dan_bo said:
Yes that is a tad patronising Dom, but there is a difference between a business and a megalomaniac empire of facist doom. Surely you are able to discern.

Well when you put it like that then yes I have to agree, they definitely deserve to die. :smile:

OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
domtyler said:

That is quite correct, but joking aside from my post, supermarkets are becoming alarmingly powerfull. Tesco in my town own all the small retail units round about them, they purposefully put up the rent on all of them to try and oust the small traders becuase they wanted to expand, all that was left are the ones they would like to see inside their new Supermarket, pity the council stuck two fingers up at them :smile:. Someone quoted me that in Inverness, Tesco have over 50% of the food market cornered !!

http://www.tescotown.co.uk/

Pete

Willpower, my dear friends, willpower...

When we go to T***os for the weekly big shopping with panniers, we take a list. And try to stick to it. It ain't easy, and we often return home with one or two extras!

If I want just one or two items, I go on the road bike, sans panniers, sans rucksack. That's a great disincentive, that is: if I know I can't carry more than a bottle of milk, that's a good reason not to buy more than a bottle of milk. Try it.

Top Bottom