Tesla self drive car overtaking cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
For all those people who think cyclist some how deserve more rights on the road this video of a Tesla going through a busy street should bring people down to reality. Watch from about 3.30, cyclist running red lights, weaving through busy pedestrian crossing, a scooter rider trying to tailgate a bus....Essentially before cyclist get high and mighty about how cars should pass them, cyclist should learn to follow the rules of the road.

View: https://youtu.be/bTM-oZJdGZo

Did you see the cyclists in the OP literally get out of the way of the car in order to make the overtake easier?

For all those people who think cyclist some how deserve more rights on the road this video of a Tesla going through a busy street should bring people down to reality. Watch from about 3.30, cyclist running red lights, weaving through busy pedestrian crossing, a scooter rider trying to tailgate a bus....Essentially before cyclist get high and mighty about how cars should pass them, cyclist should learn to follow the rules of the road.

View: https://youtu.be/bTM-oZJdGZo

Yeh, and they should pay some bloody road tax too.

icowden

Veteran
If it has to wait for the other lane to be clear, it could and should move completely into the other lane. Passing in lane is wrong on all but the very widest.
You are applying UK highway code guidance. This Tesla is not in the UK.

gzoom

Über Member
Oh, really? And what training have you had in that regard? Using the medium of being high and mighty to decry others for being high and mighty is pretty crass, even for you.

None, but I don't moan about 'close passes'. If cyclists want to moan about drivers than cyclists need insurance and regulating like driver do. I cycle as much as I drive these days, so lets not pretend cyclists are some how 'more entitled' to be on the road than drivers. Why should a car move all the way over because some cyclists are taking up road space?

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
None, but I don't moan about 'close passes'. If cyclists want to moan about drivers than cyclists need insurance and regulating like driver do.
Grammar fail. Did you mean "then"? If so, how does one logically follow from the other? Do no uninsured or unlicensed drivers moan?

I cycle as much as I drive these days, so lets not pretend cyclists are some how 'more entitled' to be on the road than drivers.
Who's pretending? Which are there by right and which are there on licence?

Why should a car move all the way over because some cyclists are taking up road space?
To reduce the risk of colliding with and killing them in unforeseen incidents. Why shouldn't a motorist move over into the next lane when passing?

gzoom

Über Member
Why shouldn't a motorist move over into the next lane when passing?

And that's the kind of attitude why large number of motorists hate cyclists.

If you can program/teach an autonomous driving car to do what you want - move the car 100% into the opposite lane, that realistically is the only way cars will make that much space for cyclists.

I cycle on real roads, not pretend ones, unless a car is literally brushing past me they have given me enough space.

To expect human drivers to move all way into the opposite lane is just pure fantasy. Actually if legislation said - a car HAS to move into the opposite lane or give 2 meters space to pass a car, than companies like Tesla will alter their autonomous software to comply.

Autonomous cars is potentially the biggest boost for cyclists, but till than there is no point dreaming about the impossible.

gzoom

Über Member
A car would have to move fully into the next lane when passing another car, so why should vulnerable road users be given any less countenance?

And how many times on you're ride today did a car move fully into the next lane when passing? I want world peace, because its how the world should work, but we all know that's not going to happen any time soon.

Wishing for something that will never happen in real life is just wasting effort/breath. 90% of motorist see cyclists some thing to be tolerated, about 1% probably want to run us off the road. Removing human drivers from cars is probably the only way to achieve want you want.

Top Bottom