Tesla self drive car overtaking cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Mrs D's T8 has a form if autonomous whatsit that neither of us ever use. It also has a broken down Tesla at the side of the road warning light on the console, that beeps, plays a short clip of Sid James laughing, and then makes the car speed up. I don't do many miles, but even so it still went off twice this week.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
It must be a weird experience to not have control of the car and to get that stomach lurch feeling if the car goes past obstacles that you'd normally slow down earlier for, to anticipate being prepared to stop.

icowden

Veteran
I had the good fortune to drive a Tesla S for a day (birthday present), and I did try self-driving (what's permitted in the UK anyway). What you describe is easily the most stressful part - at least initially. It feels incredibly stressful because you don't start to generate trust with the car as the points at which you would start to slow, or turn are not those that the Tesla necessarily chooses. I eventually got used to autobraking, but it would take a while to trust auto-steering.

Top Bottom