Tether close pass recorder

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Thanks for the link. I filled in their form.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
There is a lot of waffle in this.

I cannot see how a car driver could see this light bubble on the floor or why they would react to it.

The device does not video record incidents. It just records the position where a close pass has taken placd It sounds like it then produces routes where the least close passes have taken place. In other words off the main direct routes and into the back streets, where most crime occurs.

presta

Guru
" Driving, it seems, robs many of their humanity. "
It's not about drivers and cyclists, it's about in-groups and out-groups. When people see a member of their own group harmed they feel empathy, but if you show them harm being done to someone they perceive as not being a member of a group they identify with, then brain scans reveal that their response is the same as from a psychopath with no empathy at all.
David Eagleman: What makes us empathetic? IQ2 Talks - YouTube

Dolorous Edd

The spiel all seems pretty belligerent. For example:

The research concludes that studies have shown that dehumanisation is associated with increased antisocial behaviour and aggression toward a variety of groups, and that it does so by removing normal inhibitions against harming others.

Is that what they think? That close passing is driven by an active willingness to harm others? I must say my impression after many years of cycling is that the vast majority of close passing is down to a passive lack of attention and understanding.

Ajax Bay

Guru
The spiel all seems pretty belligerent. . . .That close passing is driven by an active willingness to harm others? I must say my impression after many years of cycling is that the vast majority of close passing is down to a passive lack of attention and understanding.
Ed - I thought the article was pretty much on point. Every driver who successfully passes a cyclist on a road where a change of line is required so to do, has 'Seen' the cyclist. Some are excellent, waiting until they can see the way is clear to pass with clearance, but too many are content in their metal box with a squeeze (which they'd never do with passing a car). And some, with excellent sight up the clear road just pull out 'a bit' (as opposed to leaving a decent gap at nil cost to them), and it's reasonable to assume that the latent message is 'please stop occupying my road' rather than infer 'the poor people just don't 'understand'.
Btw I also thought the conspicuity/affect on driving behaviour interesting. But I'm afraid I haven't any inclination to sport a shock of a wig behind my h*****t.

Last edited:

Ste T.

Guru
Best thing I've found to keep their distance is an empty cheap second hand kiddie trailer. Works a treat.

Top Bottom