TfL two stage right turn

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alicat

Legendary Member
It's used (or used to be) on some French roads for all traffic to turn left. Seems safer if a little slower.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Is the traffic to your right at the first traffic light, prevented from turning left at the same time? Otherwise isn't that going to be a source of conflict?

Origamist

Legendary Member
Looks poorly thought out. Who wants to spend more time waiting at a junction (which are notorious sources of collisions for all road users) than is absolutely necessary? Don't get me wrong, it can often be challenging and intimidating making right turns on multi-lane roads, but I can't believe this is safest and most efficient solution.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
No one in London will take notice of that nonsence.... they will do what they normally do and just move to the right hand lane and do a right turn.
A crappy solution to a problem that doesn't really exist.. in fact it creates problems.

OP
OP
mustang1

mustang1

Guru
If I want to turn right on a multi lane road and can't make it into the right lane safely, I'll turn left then hook a u-turn and go straight. That's assuming there's a left turn in the first place. Fai!kng that, I'll get off the bike and cross the road as a pedestrian.takes longer, so the TFL solution might be OK for me. Still seems cumbersome thoughbp but I guess the road planners thought several options and figured the proposed one was OK. (Shrugs).

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
The only time i commuted through London was from Twickenham to New Cross . Three cyclists in that junction box ? Try fitting 50 in it !

Anyone come across a junction like this? Seems a tad complicated (not that I've thought of a better solution).
Not formally laid out. But there's a junction near me where I effectively do exactly that in rush hour.

Junction is on a dual carriageway; it has a right-turn slip. It is a few hundred yards after a traffic lights.

I cycle through the lights and usually want to turn right here. But the phasing means a flood of foot-down maniacs from the NEXT green .... are passing me fast and furious. It would be suicidally stupid to try and cross the two lanes of traffic into the right-turn slip. So I do pretty much that same two-stage turn - it feels simple, natural, and above all, sane. (And I don't have to get off at all)

winjim

Smash the cistern
Why give London a special system? Anyone from out of town will just end up confused. It just seems complicated and therefore dangerous.

Tynan

Veteran
people that can't use the roads should stay off them, there seems to be a school of thought that junctions and indeed the entire road system should somehow be made save for rider with no understanding or intent to understand how to do that

stick to a route you can cope with init

Top Bottom