Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Saturday, 15 August

• Sunday, 16 August

• Other (please post suggestions)

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Andrij

Andrij

Über Member
mocker said:
would a newbie be welcome?

Of course! ;) The more the merrier.

OP
OP
Andrij

Andrij

Über Member
I reconnoitred the route yesterday. Unfortunately I couldn’t get my computer to work so I’ve done a rough estimate of the distance with some online mapping. The route itself is no more than 40km (25mi). I tried to stick to an easy pace and did it in just over 3 hours, with a group I figure we’re looking at 3.5 hours, plus stopping time for food, drink, reading historical plaques, etc.

Speaking of sustenance, there will be plenty of opportunities for pub/cafe stops, though on the north side my preference is for the American style diner.

If you plan on coming this weekend please confirm either by posting or sending me a PM.

OP
OP
Andrij

Andrij

Über Member
Other than the possibility of a drop or two of the wet stuff it looks like Sunday should be quite nice.

See you at the Monument!

OP
OP
Andrij

Andrij

Über Member
*BUMP*

Just a reminder that I'll be leading this ride again on Sunday, 16th August. Below is an updated version of my original post.

Please confirm you attendance by next Friday morning. I'd like to know numbers as there may be CAKE. ;)

=====

Meet at the Monument for a 10:30 departure. Easily reachable from London Bridge, Fenchurch Street, Liverpool Street and Canon Street Stations, as well as the District/Circle lines on the Underground (which permit bikes).

We'll cross London Bridge then head east, sticking as close to the river as possible, heading all the way out to Woolwich with a detour to the Greenwich Observatory for views across London. There will be at least one pub stop along the way.

We'll cross back to the north bank on the Woolwich Fairy Ferry and turn back west, taking in a Teleport, an American style diner, pirate ships (kinda) and a hidden canal. There is an option of a detour to the Bow Creek Ecology Park. More food & drink can be had at St. Katherine Dock — the end of the ride.

This will be a slow, gentle day out with plenty of surprises along the way. The surfaces vary so you may want to leave the super skinny tyred bike at at home. Saying that, I've done the route on my Ribble (running 25s) without any problem. There will be gates and might be the odd stair or three. Total distance will be around 50km with plenty of stops to view all sorts of interesting sights.

Lizban

As this route is pretty much my don't want to deal with traffic commute I'll pass but it is a great little (and very quiet ride)

Hope you enjoy it. Just don't tell too many people about these routes I like them quiet!

Ps you can throw in a detour round C. Wharf it's strange a very peaceful on a sunday

OP
OP
Andrij

Andrij

Über Member
Lizban said:
Ps you can throw in a detour round C. Wharf it's strange a very peaceful on a sunday

Plus it would wind up the Canary Wharf Paramilitaries 'security'. ;)

I'll keep it in mind, will probably depend on how well we're moving on the day.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Don't think it would - I've cycled through Canary Wharf several times on a Sunday and never had any issues with security.

OP
OP
Andrij

Andrij

Über Member
Ben Lovejoy said:
Don't think it would - I've cycled through Canary Wharf several times on a Sunday and never had any issues with security.

Maybe I'm just a shifty looking character. :smile:

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
I will have to 99% rule myself out of this, as much as I want to, I have the Saffend trip on Saturday then out on the lash Sat night. I dont think Ill be cycling or walking at all on the 16th! Ill be bed bound! Sorry! But good luck, hope it goes well!

OP
OP
Andrij

Andrij

Über Member
As an aide memoir, the following people expressed interest in this ride upthread:

Davywalnuts
Tynan
Sittingduck
Ben Lovejoy
mocker

There should be a few folk from other places attending as well.

OP
OP
Andrij

Andrij

Über Member
Update:

Andrij
Delthebike
Valiant
Lynx
mistral
Sergeant Pluck