Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Saturday, 15 August

• Sunday, 16 August

• Other (please post suggestions)

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrij

Über Member
Meet at the Monument for a 10:30 departure. Easily reachable from London Bridge, Fenchurch Street, Liverpool Street and Canon Street Stations, as well as the District/Circle lines on the Underground (which permit bikes).

We'll cross London Bridge then head east, sticking as close to the river as possible, heading all the way out to Woolwich, with a possible detour to the Greenwich Observatory for views across London. There will be at least one pub stop along the way.

We'll cross back to the north bank on the Woolwich Fairy Ferry and turn back west, taking in a Teleport, an American style diner, pirate ships (kinda) and a hidden canal. There is an option of more food/drink at St. Katherine Dock.

This will be a slow, gentle day out. The surfaces vary so you may want to leave the super skinny tyred bike at at home. Saying that, I've done the route on my Ribble (running 25s) without any problem. There will be gates and might be the odd stair or three.

I am aware that Auntie Helen has a ride on 18 July and the London-Southend BHF ride is on 19 July.

UPDATE: 18 July is no longer available as an option. Unfortunately I cannot edit the poll itself.

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Is this meet for anyone?

Sounds interesting, but I only run on 700x23c's... but they are sludge filled! hehehe!

OP
OP
Andrij

Andrij

Über Member
Davywalnuts said:
Is this meet for anyone?

Sounds interesting, but I only run on 700x23c's... but they are sludge filled! hehehe!

anyone who wants to can come along and play!

As for the tyres... when we're on cobbles you can just pretend you're doing Paris-Roubaix. ;)

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Cool! Sounds fun to me!

Oh yes! I'll be thinking all those wobbles will help burn the fat more.. A bit like a vibration plate!

Tynan

Veteran
cool although the first weekend is a bust for me, pre season friendly and sea fishing

suspect the second will be too mind, but, what's aprox time to finish?

OP
OP
Andrij

Andrij

Über Member
Tynan said:
suspect the second will be too mind, but, what's aprox time to finish?

Good question. Possibly 5pm?

Next week I'll ride the route at again but at 'group pace' and time it, then factor in time for food/drink stops, etc. I'll report back here as soon as I have a figure.

Bigtwin

Pettite point of order. Contrary to popular misuse, it is actually St Katherine's Docks. With an apostrophy.

I know they only get it right half the time on their own website, and the OS maps online have shagged it up, but most sites get it right most of the time.

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=45080

Bigtwin

Sittingduck said:
Does that mean you're coming or not Bigtwin? :welcome:

I know I get excited about grammer (did you see what I did there? Good eh?) but it's just the way I'm sitting.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Having survived a similar route on the trike once before, despite one set of lock gates, a few sets of steps and a right-angle turn through a doorway, I'd be up for this if I'm around then. (Can't do either of the July dates.)

OP
OP
Andrij

Andrij

Über Member
*bump*

It's looking like 16 August at the moment. But as there are people elsewhere who are interested in this but prefer an earlier date I'll take another group around on 19 July as well.

I'll ride the route again this weekend, measuring distance and time to get around. Might need to sample allsome of the pubs along the route as well...

Top Bottom