Thankful for a migraine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Friday cycle to work, back (15 mile each way) and pick the car up friday evening.
It started off bad when despite 2 smart superflash rear lights on the rack, a separate light under the saddle and one in the rear of the helmet, I still got 3 very close passes on the mile back into town. Didn't get any better when a few 100 yds from home, the minoura accessory bar decided to give up the ghost. Luckily my 2 headlights were caught by the brake/gear cables. I guess I can't complain. I've had it about 4 years now.
It was only a short journey, so I'd only packed my fingerless gloves. Big mistake. By the time I got home, it felt like my thumb nails were no longer mine!
So I spent an hour on Thursday evening pondering whether to replace the bar, before deciding to shift the computer and fit the lights straight onto the handlebars.
Now comes the lucky(?) bit. I kept waking up with a 'mild' migraine, as mild as a migraine can be. But it's still not something you can sit infront of a pc all day with. So, 7:30am I called in sick. By mid-day it'd dulled. I got up and called the garage - "PASS".
OK, now to collect it.
I set off and after only a few yards I hear a rattling. It's from the rack. It's never made it before, the bikes normally pretty quiet. I find out its one of the bolts, down near the chain. I've got no allen keys on me, so I carry on. It bugs me and a bit further on I check it again, can I finger tighten it? No.
Then as I set off again, it definitely doesn't feel right.
'Thump', 'thump', 'thump'.
STOP!
and yes... a visit from the p* fairy.
Now yeah, I guess it's unlucky to have so many things happen in such a short time. But none of them happened on the way to work, at 6am, miles from anywhere.
Its also made me decide to swap out the Kenda tyre, as its a sod to fit even when I'm inside, in the warm. I'd hate to do it outside in the cold, dark and wet.
Guess I'm looking for a Hutchison or a Vittoria (700x23C)

Top Bottom