Thanks for the add

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robrinay

I’m Rob - I live in Sheffield and first got interested in vintage bikes when I picked up a Moulton F frame from an ad in the Nottingham Evening Post in 1987. Ive had a few Moultons since then and have sold them onto Japan and Thailand after making them roadworthy. Last year I picked up a vintage Holsdworth spent masses on the refurb but as it was like a 5 bar gate - much too big for my 32” inside leg I gave it to my mates son his nickname is Sam long legs. Last week I rescued another old Holdsworth from a skip and this one looks about right for me so I’ll be asking for advice later. I ride a Brompton when I visit antique fairs and get fed up with people asking if it’s for sale and I ride a Specialized hybrid in Sheffield in order to be able to get uphill.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
:welcome:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello and welcome to the forum. Know what you mean about those hills. I'll be visiting Sheffield some time next month so I'll look out for you.

Sounds like you should hook up with another member @SkipdiverJohn .

Have fun with the restorations.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Sounds like you should hook up with another member @SkipdiverJohn ..

Skip salvaging is great. You can't get better value for money than free, and that goes for anything - not just bikes!
The only downside is the "choice" available is of the take it or leave it variety!. I've only ever found cheap bikes in skips, but they make perfectly serviceable hacks. In fact cheap bikes make better hacks than good bikes in one sense, because they are unattractive to thieves.
Bargain secondhand is an equally good procurement method, with much better choice and very good value if you are self-disciplined in what you will or won't buy. I would not dream of buying a NEW bike, complete waste of money, IMHO. Depreciation of value is something others suffer from, I opt out of playing that game myself.

OP
OP
robrinay

robrinay

Agreed - skips are good hunting grounds if you beat the scrap men in pick ups and white vans who patrol daily. The best places for decent vintage bikes in my area are antique fairs. The best place for decent modern bikes is the cattle market ‘car boot’ in Nottingham on a Saturday morning where local recycling centre licencees take the stuff they salvage. You’ve got to get there early in both cases and take a torch in winter.

Last edited:

alicat

Legendary Member
Welcome @robrinay.

Your hobby/sideline sounds fascinating.

OP
OP
robrinay

robrinay

alicat - It’s only one hobby one of many - I’m retired so I’ve got time to avoid lethargy and depression by hunting for stuff. I collect and wear, vintage jackets (and high end reproductions including Belstaff, Barbour, Aero and Eastman Leather-17 on the rail atm). I also search out 20th Century Design furniture and ‘smalls’ to furnish our house (pieces by Hans Wegner, Arne Jacobsen Willy Guhl etc).

alicat - It’s only one hobby one of many - I’m retired so I’ve got time to avoid lethargy and depression by hunting for stuff. I collect and wear, vintage jackets (and high end reproductions including Belstaff, Barbour, Aero and Eastman Leather-17 on the rail atm). I also search out 20th Century Design furniture and ‘smalls’ to furnish our house (pieces by Hans Wegner, Arne Jacobsen Willy Guhl etc).
Smalls ? :ohmy:

OP
OP
robrinay

robrinay

it’s an antique dealers term for anything that will fit in a shoulder bag - jewellery ornaments lamps etc. I couldn’t work out how to insert a laughing face.

alicat

Legendary Member
When you post, there are some formatting tools in a bar at the top. Emoji are 1/3 in from the right hand side. ^_^

You might then have to scroll down a bit to see them.

Top Bottom