That could have been worse .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
On my way back from feeding the chicks this morning I stopped to help another cyclist . It seems someone had started to cross the road in front of her and then decided not too and stepped back into her path resulting in a rather nasty gash to the side of her forehead where she hit the kerb . I nipped home to get the van and while dropping her bike off home with her helmet on my front seat I couldnt help thinking if she wasn't wearing that it could have been a hell of a lot worse .
I don't wear one myself but I think a trip to the bike shop this afternoon is on the cards .
Shes on her way to the hospital now so I hope she makes a speedy recovery .

Booyaa

Veteran
They do come in use sometimes. I came off when having a seizure once, I was practically stopped so was just a falling over more than anything but the mess it made of the helmet left me glad I had it on. Wouldn't like to have seen the state of my head without it on.

Hopefully the lass you helped is fine with just a wee mark to show.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Thats exactly the type of accident a helmet will help in. A slow speed fall onto a hard object.

Hope she is ok and doesnt let it put her off cycling.

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Well done for looking after her!
You just do don't you .
I wasn't sure what was happening at first as there was a couple of people there and a bike on the floor . I doubled back on myself up the slip road just to check things where ok and that's when I saw the blood down her face . I told her a little lie and said it wasn't that bad but it was a nasty cut .
Maybe it would still have been the same cut without the helmet but it was enough to make me go out and buy one today and that's money taken out of my N+1 bike fund so I am double unhappy about it !

sheffgirl

I fell similarly a while back and landed on the side of my face. I was fine after (it looked worse than it was) apart from 2 split lips, a broken tooth and lots of grazes. They X-rayed my head at the hospital to be sure I hadn't broken anything. I was wearing a helmet, and I think that saved me from further injury to my head, I did have a massive headache later that day :sad:

A couple of weeks ago I was saved by my helmet when a conker fell on my head during my morning commute...not what the designers had in mind!

You do realise what this means........ you have upset a squirrel!

The Squirrel Mafia is now lining up in thetrees on your commute fully armed with a supply of conkers and nuts....

NO helmet is going to save you now.

It is interesting to note that all the injuries on this thread are in areas not protected by present design.

The British dental Association also recognises this and advocates greater facial protection.

Looking at theseincidents one has to wonder how much more effective full face helmets would have been.

In both the cases described by Cuchilo and Shefgirl, the injuries would have been amost eliminated.

Surely full face is the way to go?

andrewpreston

You do realise what this means........ you have upset a squirrel!

The Squirrel Mafia is now lining up in thetrees on your commute fully armed with a supply of conkers and nuts....

NO helmet is going to save you now.
I have had the feeling I'm being watched!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom