That didn't quite go according to Plan.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thanks everyone for your kind words. The head is a lot better now and the bruises are loosing their edge. Think I might try and recruit a similarly minded lunatic next time.
Just curious and no need to answer but were you in an isolated spot? Did you have any first aid gear? Was it sufficient? How did you manage?

It can be a big fear for some of us heading off alone, or indeed for those left behind that something incapicitating can happen miles from help.

I know some bike computers can send gps info regularly (with phone connection) and some American cousins use satellite technology or at least discuss it online.

OP
OP
Baldy

Baldy

Über Member
Was it isolated? It was about a mile from Invermoriston up a forest track and part of the Great Glen Way. I'd only seen one couple about two hours earlier.

What first aid kit did I have? Just a small dry bag I'd made up, consisting of mainly small plasters and blister dressings some steristrips, two ambulance dressings (4x4inch gauze pads on a short bandage), a triangular bandage and some Paracetamol, Ibuprofen. It would have been sufficient if I could have administered it on myself.

How did I manage? I'm not very sure but somehow I got myself up, got the bike back on the track ( I do remember struggling with it). Then I walked it down the hairpins to the village. A very kind lady stopped her car and took me to a friends house, he was a retired paramedic.

Training wise, I was in the Military 30 odd years ago where I was trained to a high standard in first aid. Since then I've done numerous wilderness first aid courses. I'm not a stranger to wild places or solo trips. This trip would have been five days long I have done some trips which have been several months long either on foot, ski, kayak or bike.

I did have a Tracker with me but didn't need it.

Really it was just a case of misjudging the steepness of the bend and something that could have happened anywhere. I guess you could say operator error.

Was it isolated? It was about a mile from Invermoriston up a forest track and part of the Great Glen Way. I'd only seen one couple about two hours earlier.

What first aid kit did I have? Just a small dry bag I'd made up, consisting of mainly small plasters and blister dressings some steristrips, two ambulance dressings (4x4inch gauze pads on a short bandage), a triangular bandage and some Paracetamol, Ibuprofen. It would have been sufficient if I could have administered it on myself.

How did I manage? I'm not very sure but somehow I got myself up, got the bike back on the track ( I do remember struggling with it). Then I walked it down the hairpins to the village. A very kind lady stopped her car and took me to a friends house, he was a retired paramedic.

Training wise, I was in the Military 30 odd years ago where I was trained to a high standard in first aid. Since then I've done numerous wilderness first aid courses. I'm not a stranger to wild places or solo trips. This trip would have been five days long I have done some trips which have been several months long either on foot, ski, kayak or bike.

I did have a Tracker with me but didn't need it.

Really it was just a case of misjudging the steepness of the bend and something that could have happened anywhere. I guess you could say operator error.
Thanks for that. I hope you don't think I was prying too much.
Well prepared and a bit of random luck, there's useful info in there for all of us.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
You’ve got to watch out for Badgers hiding round hairpins and ready to pounce. Heal well.

OP
OP
Baldy

Baldy

Über Member
Get well soon! Hope you remembered to ‘pause the Strava’ :-)
Don't use Strava, I use RidewithGPS. I have a Wahoo Elemnt Bolt thingy-my-bob, it was on the bike when I crashed. I don't remember picking it up but it was in my pocket when I got home. The battery was flat but it had recorded the journey all the way to Ragmore hospital.

It's now six weeks on, I'm fine and I have the bike back on the road. New chain, chain rings, mech hanger. I've also changed the brakes calipers and discs should be out on it on Sunday.

Already planning to have another go, maybe later in the summer.

Top Bottom