'That N+1'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

livpoksoc

Guru
So as i posted another thread about having to get an urgent repair to my rear wheel (chain over back of cassette), someone said I should consider retiring that bike to keep as a back up/winter bike & getting a newer summer bike to use as I'm wanting to be out on the bike more. I am most likely going to utilise the cycle2work scheme for this too.

My budget is going to be purchase price of £1k-£1.3k.

Current bike - 2010 Specialized Secteur Elite (pic attached).

Ideally I'd like something that is similarly comfortable, as a larger chap I don't want to feel every bump in the road, but am wondering if carbon is in my budget (or even suitable?!). I'm not after buying speed, but would like something that is a step up from what my first road bike was, just off the peg.

Attachments

• 061b.jpg
    061b.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 35

vickster

Legendary Member
Where can you buy from? Carbon is certainly in budget, although probably not a Specialized with any level of spec.

What groupset do you have etc at the mo? I'd look at a Cannondale Synapse for starters probably. Get to an Evans, have some test rides

OP
OP
livpoksoc

livpoksoc

Guru
Where can you buy from? Carbon is certainly in budget, although probably not a Specialized with any level of spec.

What groupset do you have etc at the mo? I'd look at a Cannondale Synapse for starters probably. Get to an Evans, have some test rides

I am based in basingstoke, only one lbs here but they do spesh. I can get to other shops in soton/pompey area & work in London so can also head there at lunch/after work.

Carbon isn't the be all and end all. Sorry, am a newb - what's a group set & how do I determine what I have?

vickster

Legendary Member
Group set is the gearing etc, chain, shifters, front and rear derailleurs. It should say what they are

You can't always use any shop with c2w. Depends what scheme. Given it's for commuting, do you need to be able to fit a rack or mudguards. Carbon isn't but it us different to alu. There's always steel too :smile:

OP
OP
livpoksoc

livpoksoc

Guru
Group set is the gearing etc, chain, shifters, front and rear derailleurs. It should say what they are

You can't always use any shop with c2w. Depends what scheme. Given it's for commuting, do you need to be able to fit a rack or mudguards. Carbon isn't but it us different to alu. There's always steel too :smile:
Ialready own a rack & guards. It'll be used for basic trips to the train station in the dry, but also at weekends for 50 milers

vickster

Legendary Member
Are you leaving it at a station during the day? If so, get a clunker and use the best bike at weekend

Are you sure you can go as high as £1300 on C2W, unless your company has a credit license, the limit is usually 1k although some retailers allow topping up

OP
OP
livpoksoc

livpoksoc

Guru
Are you leaving it at a station during the day? If so, get a clunker and use the best bike at weekend

Are you sure you can go as high as £1300 on C2W, unless your company has a credit license, the limit is usually 1k although some retailers allow topping up
My employer allows up to £2k, the bike will be locked in a gated car park at work

jayonabike