That was a suprise, opening Olympic event

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yup. The cauldron thing I thought was both clever and elegant.
And as you say theres the British bit of it. No chance of competing with the Chinese spectacle.....so we'll have a party instead :thumbsup:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
+1. I was fully expecting an embarrassment; I was very pleasantly surprised. Some of it was bizarre, borderline surreal ("I know, let's have lost of hospital beds with kids in, and people dancing around dressed as doctors & nurses!" "Great idea!" "Sooper!" "High fives!")...but overall I thought it made a really good show of it, and genuinely showcased/made best use of what we do well. Beijing was always going to be a hard act to follow...I take my hat off to the organisers, who did the right thing - sidestepped neatly, and played to our strengths.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I loved it. I loved the rural idyll, and I loved the dark satanic mills - especially the molten metal effect of the ring forging. I giggled all the way through Mr Bean and Chariots of Fire, and was gobsmacked when the queen in the Bond film turned out to be The Queen!

I could have done without quite so much Dizzy Rascal, but then I'm an 80's girl music wise.

I loved the cauldron too. After all the hype about who was going to light it, I was a bit 'meh' about Sir Steve Redgrave - no disrespect to him, but it seemed a bit obvious. But once it was handed over to the youngsters, somehow the who stopped mattering and the why took over, which is how it should be.

Finally. Where can I get a set of those wings!?

Night Train

Maker of Things
I wasn't that interested in the overall Olympics thing but the opening ceremony was excellent!

I thought the rising mill chimney with a 'Fred Dibner' hoisted up the side was a nice touch.

The rings/wings were fantastic.

Doseone

Guru
Absolutely loved it. The Pink Floyd and Fireworks was amazing, the cauldron was breathtaking.

We start our journey today to the greatest show on earth - Judo to see tomorrow, I just can't wait. Very very proud to be British.

Stephenite

Membå
I thought it was great too. Don't know what i was expecting, but i think this exceeded it.

My norwegian gf tho, thought it was OTT patriotic! Then went on to say the Lillehammer Olympics is widely reknowned as the best ever!!!

Top Bottom