That was too close - thought my number was up.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

potsy

Rambler
It's strange how certain threads come to mind whilst you're out and about.
The tragic Olympic death one came to me as a lorry turned left at a junction earlier, no indication of where he was going until he was already moving, then wam! quick flash of the indicator and he turned left taking most of the kerb with him as he cut right over it, a less alert cyclist could easily have tried to undertake it there :ohmy:
Then just after that there was a road block further down the road where 2 vehicles had collided, one was a Royal mail van, looked like he'd pulled out of a sidestreet and a car had gone into the side of him :ohmy:

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Glad you're ok and as Potsy said it might be worth keeping this one to yourself in the Fossy household, just for their sanity.

I won't be letting the Missus know. That is unless the Police call for a statement ! :blush:

Rancid

Glad to see you where un-harmed.

CopperCyclist...
I don't know if you personal get involved in a lot of these types of incidents.
But the urge to kick seven shades out of these drivers after they willfully put innocent peoples live at risk must be overwhelming.

Miquel In De Rain

No Longer Posting
Would have been a good time to have a cam...or a machine gun.I've caught some real classics on camera.

Hope you are ok fossy.I hate crap like that when it gets really tight.:B)

Glad to see you where un-harmed.

CopperCyclist...
I don't know if you personal get involved in a lot of these types of incidents.
But the urge to kick seven shades out of these drivers after they willfully put innocent peoples live at risk must be overwhelming.

Yes. There are many times in the job where you will feel like that, but at the end of the day you realise that your job is worth a lot more. I guess I should spew a line about innocent til proven guilty, or right to fair trials, or human rights - but no, being honest what keeps most of us professional is simply the fact that a) we're desensitised somewhat and b) it's not worth giving a criminal the chance to really hurt you by losing you your job.

GetAGrip

Still trying to look cool and not the fool HA
Yes. There are many times in the job where you will feel like that, but at the end of the day you realise that your job is worth a lot more. I guess I should spew a line about innocent til proven guilty, or right to fair trials, or human rights - but no, being honest what keeps most of us professional is simply the fact that a) we're desensitised somewhat and b) it's not worth giving a criminal the chance to really hurt you by losing you your job.
Don't forget the most important personal reason IMHO - They're not dragging you down into the pond from whence they crawled. You are just plain better than that!!! :thumbsup:

Hmm, reminds me of two stories from Australia. The first one must be close to 40 years ago. A friend told me he was charged with speeding, car theft, drink driving, driving without a license etc etc. Basically, underage drunken teenager took his Dad's car on a joyride. Common enough story, but one that often ends in tragedy; my friend was lucky. When he was apprehended, the police beat him up. They later told him that if he pressed charges, they'd throw other charges at him. His lawyer advised him to keep quiet. Anyway, in court he got a wrist slap: good behaviour bond, record expunge at 18 etc. The reason he never got in trouble again, according to him? He never wanted to put himself in police hands again.

The other story is more like 15 years ago. A friend was a school teacher, and one of her students died in a RTA. ( There had been a 4x4 driver going at speed on an "A road", back and forth because at a certain speed your car briefly became airbound. The driver had been reported to the police, but it was Sunday night and the local station was closed. Anyway, some time later a group of teenagers did a right turn as the lights changed, when he came tearing through way above the speed limit and crashed into them. ie It was clearly dangerous driving). My friend spoke to the dead girl's father. When he was at the police station some time after the accident, the police said "he'll get off with a trivial sentence in court. Do you want us to leave you alone in a room with him?" Obviously the father said no, or I would never have heard this story. But it made me think of the first story, and the police running their own underground judicial system.

I don't think this is right behaviour, and I'm sure innocents suffered at the hands of these officers, but it's an interesting reaction to too lenient sentencing.

GetAGrip

Still trying to look cool and not the fool HA
Done - Got through to the control room and passed on my details.
Here's hoping that adds extra time on an already deserved custodial sentence - much chance?
Glad you came out of the incident unscathed!!!
Anything in the local news as to why he bolted from the police in the way he did?

Rancid

being honest what keeps most of us professional is simply the fact that a) we're desensitised somewhat and b) it's not worth giving a criminal the chance to really hurt you by losing you your job.

I'm part of the panel with the local SNT. There has been a couple of occasions where I've seen members of the SNT on the end of some what i would take as intolerable abuse. To them its all water off a ducks back.
to be honest it saddens me that they feels its part of the job to take that sort of abuse.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I'm part of the panel with the local SNT. There has been a couple of occasions where I've seen members of the SNT on the end of some what i would take as intolerable abuse. To them its all water off a ducks back.
to be honest it saddens me that they feels its part of the job to take that sort of abuse.
What's the SNT?

Top Bottom