That's not Cycling!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tetedelacourse

I went with a pal to Glentress on Saturday afternoon. Never been Mountain biking before (despite having a "mountain" bike for years).

It poured down all afternoon. My feet kept slipping off the pedals. The front sus was very odd and the bike felt heavier than a grifter.

But.

What a buzz! I didn't go over any jumps but we did the red route which is designed for frequent MTB'ers. I'd suggested doing the one a grade down from this but my pal was having none of it, so we did the red one.

About crapped myself going down the first section but gradually gained in confidence. Nothing like commuting to work on my roadie!

If you haven't tried it, give it a go, it's brilliant fun.

:smile::biggrin:

yello

Tetedelacourse said:
If you haven't tried it, give it a go, it's brilliant fun.

I have and it is! Or rather was! It hurts too much these days and my 'off-roading' is now restricted to fairly tame pootles on local tracks. But I shudder to think that I used to bomb down hills that I'd think twice about walking down now!

Melvil

I've been to Glentress twice and did the red route both times as we wanted the downhill to last a bit longer. I reckon they've got the difficulty a bit wrong as I think the start of the red route at the top of the hill is more difficult than the following stages below, no?

It's a buzz, though. You're so right! I must go back. In fact, if you're thinking of returning some time and want more company...just pm me.

Melvil said:
I've been to Glentress twice and did the red route both times as we wanted the downhill to last a bit longer. I reckon they've got the difficulty a bit wrong as I think the start of the red route at the top of the hill is more difficult than the following stages below, no?

It's a buzz, though. You're so right! I must go back. In fact, if you're thinking of returning some time and want more company...just pm me.

The spooky woods section at the very top of the red is a recent addition to the old red route (about 3 years old). it's quite hard if ridden at speed (isn't it all?!?) but is easily rollable slowly. The black sections (xx, goat track and all of the stuff down from the radio mast and back up again) are significantly harder than the red, but nowhere near as hard as the equivalent black sections at kirroughtree and dalbeattie... of all the 7 staines I'd say glentress is the easiest.

Melvil

Kirstie said:
The spooky woods section at the very top of the red is a recent addition to the old red route (about 3 years old). it's quite hard if ridden at speed (isn't it all?!?) but is easily rollable slowly. The black sections (xx, goat track and all of the stuff down from the radio mast and back up again) are significantly harder than the red, but nowhere near as hard as the equivalent black sections at kirroughtree and dalbeattie... of all the 7 staines I'd say glentress is the easiest.

Which is your fave of the 7 staines, Kirsty?

OP
OP
Tetedelacourse

Tetedelacourse

Melvil said:

Yeah the spooky woods bit I took the path round the side of EVERY SINGLE jump!:smile::biggrin: In fact, after that section I'd decided that I preferred going up the hill.:tongue: But once I got a bit of resolve and remembered to unlock the front sus:blush: I started to enjoy it more and more.

Will indeed drop you a line next time I'm allowed to go.:smile:

Melvil

Tetedelacourse said:
Yeah the spooky woods bit I took the path round the side of EVERY SINGLE jump!:smile::biggrin: In fact, after that section I'd decided that I preferred going up the hill.:tongue: But once I got a bit of resolve and remembered to unlock the front sus:blush: I started to enjoy it more and more.

Will indeed drop you a line next time I'm allowed to go.:smile:

Twas the jumps that scared me most too - don't like not being clipped in!

Aye just shout when you're free :biggrin:

Melvil

Kirstie said:
Kirroughtree - home of McMoab. It's a really cracking circuit and technically challenging on an XC bike. Some ridiculous climbs, rocky steeps and the odd rooty drop too.

Interesting - just checked the 7stanes website and like it!

Wul

As the one who witnessed Tete's increasing grin at Glentress I have to agree what a great buzz it was and top marks to the Forrestry Commission for making it so well maintained and signposted.

Also, Tete forgot his old trainers so had to resort to wearing his "pulling trainers" with his overshoes on! lol.

Top Bottom