That's the end of that!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That's really bad luck. Hope you get another bite at the cherry before too long.

Twelve years ago, me and a mate set out on a three-month autumn tour from Nordkapp (northern Norway) to Gibraltar.

Cycling to the tunnel connecting the island to the main land was a piece of cake (trailer-free), but once the trailer was attached - not so good. Entering the tunnel (10% decline)I soon got up a head of steam, about 50 km, and the bike wobbled. I got thrown, landed heavily and broke my collarbone. Two nights was spent in hospital feeling very sorry for myself.

Four weeks later, I was recovered enough to try again (this time starting from southern Sweden) on a new bike with panniers. We made it to Gibraltar in six weeks.

Hope the recovery is swift.

Ice2911

Über Member
Just been out to reassemble it. It's fine as that was one of Mrs T's concern's, the panniers took the impact when she went over, well as well as her wrist.

View attachment 361601

Right back to the TdF, may as well do something useful with my day off as I wait the call from the Hospital to pick Mrs T up
Sorry to hear your news and hope for a quick recovery. Well worth doing, I have just finished LEJOG on a TdF and it was brilliant. No technical issues at all and very comfortable. Spent most of my ride in the Granny ring :smile: it took me 28 years to rearrange my ride when first one got cancelled age 22. Hope yours is much sooner.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Guru
We actually started to replan the LEJOG while in A&E last night. Well we were there quite a while- How come the NHS is so frustrating and so good at the same time!

Mrs T was hoping the swelling would go down by next week even though it was obvious it was a bad break but she was really looking forward to it. We were hoping to still use our return sleeper from Inverness by flying up there and spending a few days in the area, non cycling though.

Going to Holland later in the summer was also on the list. Don't know if we will make either as having just got back from visiting Mrs T at the hospital I think it's is going to take longer to recover than she expects.

She is really pee'd off that she can't ride her bike for a few weeks!
Thanks for all the messages, now back to the planning.

hoopdriver

Guru
My (then) sixteen year-old son broke his wrist just before setting off on a long planned 1000 mile ride in South Australia. He did it anyway, with his hand in a cast - probably not the best idea in the world, but he managed most of the distance (along the Oodnadatta Track) until a savage dust storm put an end to the fun. While I wouldn't especially recommend following that example, don't be put off by people saying that it can take many weeks to rebuild muscle strength. It won't. Start planning now.

Top Bottom