The 2013 Imperial Century a month challenge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
27 January 2013 (C4)
Total 138.5 miles
11 miles Prestwich to Cheadle
127.5 miles Mere 200 audax. Cheadle to Ellesmere and return (packed at Alderley Edge a few miles short due to dodgy knee and dead GPS along unlit and unsigned roads). Nasty headwind and the tailwind fizzled out for the return! Slushy roads with some deep, hub height, floods. Used the heavy bike and was slow. Not the right bike at all if i want to do distance and a decent speed (case for N+1 getting stronger!).

Audax times: 11h 14m moving time, 11.3 mph average moving speed, 5929 ft ascent (Strava), Santos Travelmaster 2.6 Alu

20 February 2013 (C5)
109.7 miles
Prestwich, Bury, Edenfield, Accrington, Great Harwood, Wilpshire, Ribchester, Longridge (sit down sausage and egg barm with a pot of tea), Woodplumpton, Elswick, Singleton, Blackpool (quick drink stop from a sea front stand), Lytham St Anne's, Kirkham, Preston, Clayton-le-Woods, Chorley (sit down hot apple pie with ice cream and a large coffee at fabulous Frederick's), Adlington, Over Hulton, Farnworth, Stoneclough, Whitefield, Prestwich.

8h 09m moving time, 13.5 mph average moving speed, 5078 ft ascent (Strava), Verenti Rhigos 0.3

02 March 2013 (C6)
100.1 miles
Prestwich, Manchester, Cheadle Hulme, Wilmslow, Haslington, Weston, Wybunbury, Audlem, Prees Heath (sit down bacon and egg sarnie with two mugs of tea), Tilstock, Ellesmere, Chirk Valley, Gobowen, Hengoed. I didn't follow all my intended route due to the lane climbing out of the Chirk valley looking resembling something more akin to a muddy stream bed, so was five miles short when I got to my mates. Cue twenty minutes of riding loops on the surrounding lanes to make the century.

7h 22 m moving time, 13.6 average moving speed, 4714 ft ascent (Strava), Verenti Rhigos 0.3

26th January Around Peterborough (Peterborough, Wittlesey, Benwick, Ramsey, Upwood, Holme, Glatton, Great Gidding, Oundle, Upper Benefield, Southwick, Bulwick, Blatherwycke, King's Cliff, Wansford, Elton, Chesterton, Awalton, Peterborough)
100.8 miles on the Viking SS plagued by p'tures, 8:24 riding (or 12mph moving average), 2862 feet of climbing. A very slushy/ mucky ride.

3rd Feb As Windy As Fuchigami (Peterborough, Farcet, Yaxley, Stilton, Upwood, Ramsey, Ramsey Forty Foot, Peterborough, Awalton, Chesterton, (Bullock Road), Great Gidding, Thurning, Barnwell, Oundle, Southwick, Bulwick, Blatherwycke, King's Cliff, Wansford, Elton, Chesterton, Awalton, Peterborough).
110.5 miles on the Kinesis, 7:08:33 (or 15.5mph average) and 3213ft of climbing. A very windy ride. Get rid of the first two 5mile laps (the slow bimble in the dark to Yaxley) its 16.1mph average for the ton :becool:

As per this thread:

5 March, By Yon Bonnie Banks (Dunfermline west through Crossford, Cairneyhill, Torryburn, Culross and out of Fife via the Kincardine Bridge; through Falkirk/ Stirlingshire via Airth, Dunipace, Denny, Stoneywood, Carron Valley, Fintry, Killearn Gartness to the West bank of Loch Lomond and Memorial Pier then back through Stilingshire via Gartness and Killearn again before cutting north to Balfron, Kippen, Gargunnoch, Touch, Cambusbarron and Stirling itself and up to Causewayhead and the Clackmannanshire (Menstrie, Tullibody, Fishcross, Coalsnaughton and Dollarbeg); before coming back into Fife at Saline and cruising down the hill into Cowstrandburn/ Carnock/ Crossford and back into the town.)
-2 deg C near the start,12 deg C max (a bit of freezing fog in the morning burning off into a glorius day) and an usual but slight east wind.
126.75 miles in 8:49:38 (14.4mph ave), 7203ft (17mph over the last 42 miles into a light headwind according to GC)

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Tuesday 29th Jan.

107 miles.

Rossendale, cliviger gorge, todmorden, walsden, summit, Rochdale, bury, prestwich, Manchester, prestwich, bury, Rochdale, littleborough, Blackstone edge, cragg vale, mytholmroyd, Hebden bridge, todmorden, walsden, summit, Rochdale, tottington, ramsbottom, helmshore, haslingden, Rawtenstall, waterfoot, stacksteads, bacup, burnley, back to rossendale.

A weird route, but was done so I could stay on bus routes. Just in case my elbow pain was too much and I could fold up the bike and bail.

Sunday 17th February.

101 miles.

LOOP 1 (64 MILES) (8 1/2 HOURS INC BREAKS)

ROSSENDALE, BURNLEY, CLIVIGER GORGE, TODMORDEN, HEBDEN BRIDGE, PECKET WELL, COCK HILL, OXENHOPE, HAWORTH, STANBURY, LANESHAWBRIDGE, COLNE, FOULRIDGE, COLNE, BARROWFORD, FENCE, PADIHAM, BURNLEY, BURNLEY FOOTBALL CLUB, WEIR, BACUP, STACKSTEADS, WATERFOOT, ROSSENDALE.

LOOP 2 (37 MILES) (4 /12 HOURS INC BREAKS)

ROSSENDALE, BURNLEY, CLIVIGER GORGE, TODMORDEN, WALSDEN, LITTLEBOROUGH, ROCHDALE, WHITWORTH RD, NEW LINE, STACKSTEADS, WATERFOOT, ROSSENDALE

I can't edit my original post Ian, can you sort it please? Cheers.

30 March 2013.

100.1 miles.

Rossendale, haslingden greenway, Leeds Liverpool canal, houghton, Preston guild wheel way, Lytham st Anne's, Blackpool, bispham, fleetwood, bispham, Blackpool, Lytham st Anne's, Preston to pick up the strategically placed car- which I had to ride past to make the 100 miles.

sittingbull

Veteran
1st Jan 2013
South Liverpool, Widnes, Warrington, Knutsford, Macclesfield, Wilmslow, Knutsford, Warrington, Widnes, Huyton, City Centre, Sefton Park, Otterspool Prom. Tail-wind (out), head-wind (back), a few showers.
101.36 miles....6:51:49 ride time....14.7 mph av.... 26.3 mph max....Specialized Allez.

16th Feb 2013
South Liverpool, Widnes, Warrington, Knutsford, Macclesfield, Cat & Fiddle, Buxton and return.
102.39 miles....6:36:57 ride time....15.4 mph av.... 34.4 mph max....Specialized Allez.

30th March 2013
South Liverpool, Widnes, Runcorn, Frodsham, Delamere, Northwich, Winsford....details to follow from GPS....Huyton, Sefton Park, Otterspool Prom. Cold.
104.13 miles....7:13:33 ride time....14.4 mph av.... 30.2 mph max....Specialized Allez.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Hi Ian,

For some reason I can't edit my original post, please add this link in for me...

Cropped route from Strava....cropped for privacy reasons.

http://app.strava.com/activities/46814904

Tuesday 29th Jan.

107 miles.

Rossendale, cliviger gorge, todmorden, walsden, summit, Rochdale, bury, prestwich, Manchester, prestwich, bury, Rochdale, littleborough, Blackstone edge, cragg vale, mytholmroyd, Hebden bridge, todmorden, walsden, summit, Rochdale, tottington, ramsbottom, helmshore, haslingden, Rawtenstall, waterfoot, stacksteads, bacup, burnley, back to rossendale.

A weird route, but was done so I could stay on bus routes. Just in case my elbow pain was too much and I could fold up the bike and bail.

Sunday 17th February.

101 miles.

LOOP 1 (64 MILES) (8 1/2 HOURS INC BREAKS)

ROSSENDALE, BURNLEY, CLIVIGER GORGE, TODMORDEN, HEBDEN BRIDGE, PECKET WELL, COCK HILL, OXENHOPE, HAWORTH, STANBURY, LANESHAWBRIDGE, COLNE, FOULRIDGE, COLNE, BARROWFORD, FENCE, PADIHAM, BURNLEY, BURNLEY FOOTBALL CLUB, WEIR, BACUP, STACKSTEADS, WATERFOOT, ROSSENDALE.

LOOP 2 (37 MILES) (4 /12 HOURS INC BREAKS)

ROSSENDALE, BURNLEY, CLIVIGER GORGE, TODMORDEN, WALSDEN, LITTLEBOROUGH, ROCHDALE, WHITWORTH RD, NEW LINE, STACKSTEADS, WATERFOOT, ROSSENDALE

30 March 2013.

100.1 miles.

Rossendale, haslingden greenway, Leeds Liverpool canal, houghton, Preston guild wheel way, Lytham st Anne's, Blackpool, bispham, fleetwood, bispham, Blackpool, Lytham st Anne's, Preston to pick up the strategically placed car- which I had to ride past to make the 100 miles.

sittingbull

Veteran
1st Jan 2013
South Liverpool, Widnes, Warrington, Knutsford, Macclesfield, Wilmslow, Knutsford, Warrington, Widnes, Huyton, City Centre, Sefton Park, Otterspool Prom. Tail-wind (out), head-wind (back), a few showers.
101.36 miles....6:51:49 ride time....14.7 mph av.... 26.3 mph max....Specialized Allez.

16th Feb 2013
South Liverpool, Widnes, Warrington, Knutsford, Macclesfield, Cat & Fiddle, Buxton and return.
102.39 miles....6:36:57 ride time....15.4 mph av.... 34.4 mph max....Specialized Allez.

30th March 2013
South Liverpool, Widnes, Runcorn, Frodsham, Delamere, Cotebrook, Weaverham, Northwich, Winsford, Delamere, Weaverham, Warrington, Huyton, Sefton Park, Otterspool Prom. Cold.
104.13 miles....7:13:33 ride time....14.4 mph av.... 30.2 mph max....Specialized Allez.

sittingbull

Veteran
1st Jan 2013

16th Feb 2013

30th March 2013
South Liverpool, Widnes, Runcorn, Frodsham, Delamere, Cotebrook, Weaverham, Northwich, Winsford, Delamere, Weaverham, Warrington, Huyton, Sefton Park, Otterspool Prom. Cold.

Wont let me edit my OP, so can a mod please add it.

14th April (A 27.7mile ride up to Oakham for the 41.1miles Forum Ride and 35.1miles back a total of 103.9miles, 5000ft in 6h59m6s, 14.8mph moving)
Peterborough, Marholm, Barnack, Stamford, Ketton, Edith Weston, Manton, Oakham; Forum Ride-Oakham, Manton, North Luffenham, South Luffenham, Barrowden, Seaton, Uppingham, Halleton, Knossington, Langham, Oakham; Oakham, Manton, Edith Weston, Ketton, Stamford, Barnack, Marholm, Peterborough + Part loop of town.

sittingbull

Veteran
1st Jan 2013

16th Feb 2013

30th March 2013

10th April 2013
South Liverpool, Widnes, Runcorn, Frodsham, Tarvin, Holt, Wrexham, Ruabon, Llangollen, Horseshoe Pass, Llandegla, Penyffordd, Chester, Helsby, Frodsham, Runcorn, Widnes, South Liverpool.
120.78 miles....8:03:36 ride time....14.9 mph av.... 34.6 mph max....Specialized Allez.

27 January 2013 (C4)
Total 138.5 miles
11 miles Prestwich to Cheadle
127.5 miles Mere 200 audax. Cheadle to Ellesmere and return (packed at Alderley Edge a few miles short due to dodgy knee and dead GPS along unlit and unsigned roads). Nasty headwind and the tailwind fizzled out for the return! Slushy roads with some deep, hub height, floods. Used the heavy bike and was slow. Not the right bike at all if i want to do distance and a decent speed (case for N+1 getting stronger!).

Audax times: 11h 14m moving time, 11.3 mph average moving speed, 5929 ft ascent (Strava), Santos Travelmaster 2.6 Alu

20 February 2013 (C5)
109.7 miles
Prestwich, Bury, Edenfield, Accrington, Great Harwood, Wilpshire, Ribchester, Longridge (sit down sausage and egg barm with a pot of tea), Woodplumpton, Elswick, Singleton, Blackpool (quick drink stop from a sea front stand), Lytham St Anne's, Kirkham, Preston, Clayton-le-Woods, Chorley (sit down hot apple pie with ice cream and a large coffee at fabulous Frederick's), Adlington, Over Hulton, Farnworth, Stoneclough, Whitefield, Prestwich.

8h 09m moving time, 13.5 mph average moving speed, 5078 ft ascent (Strava), Verenti Rhigos 0.3

02 March 2013 (C6)
100.1 miles
Prestwich, Manchester, Cheadle Hulme, Wilmslow, Haslington, Weston, Wybunbury, Audlem, Prees Heath (sit down bacon and egg sarnie with two mugs of tea), Tilstock, Ellesmere, Chirk Valley, Gobowen, Hengoed. I didn't follow all my intended route due to the lane climbing out of the Chirk valley resembling something more akin to a muddy stream bed, so was five miles short when I got to my mates. Cue twenty minutes of riding loops on the surrounding lanes to make the century.

7h 22m moving time, 13.6 average moving speed, 4714 ft ascent (Strava), Verenti Rhigos 0.3

20 April 2013 (C7)
113 miles
Combination of a FNRttC (York to Hull) and a return Saturday Morning Ride Back to York (SMRBtY). A great night and morning. Times reflect the nature of a group ride. A really good shakedown for my new bike - literally as I lost a screw holding on the rear mudguard and the other came loose and started rubbing on the tyre!

8h 48m moving time, 12.9 mph average moving speed, 1441 ft ascent (Strava), Hewitt Chiltern

Norry1

Legendary Member
Mods - can you merge with my earlier post please.

Saturday 20th April 2013

The Heart of England 300k Audax (plus 3 miles to and from)

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/300718908

191.85 miles. Moving Time 12hrs 34mins 55 secs. Moving Average speed 15.2mph. Top speed 44.6mph

Total distance including rides to and from start, 194.8 miles

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Ian please add.

Tuesday 30th April 2013.

Rossendale to Shaw to meet pennine Paul at his house.. 50 mile canal loop (3 canals, ashton, rochdale, manchester) and then back home. 101 miles. 13 1/2 hours all in.

Top Bottom