The 2017 Half Century (50 KM or 50 Mile) A Month Challenge - Chatzone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Katherine

Guru
Well I kid you not you "liked" that post within 5 seconds of posting it. :okay:
Ha ha! I think it's a bit OCD, checking the alerts before I turned off the phone. Once I had caught up, I didn't want to get behind again.

Renmurew

Veteran
First cycle of February today and got 33 miles under my belt. Been away skiing at the end of January and then came home to a cold spell with frost most mornings and icy roads for days on end and howling winds the rest of the time, I was beginning to wonder when I would be able to make a start for February.

However, I had a day off today and the weather was perfect so made the most of it with a lovely cycle around the local area with a reward of a fruit scone on the way home. Tried to include a couple of hills in my route today as its only 10 weeks now till the Etape Loch Ness which includes a pretty tough 5 mile hill right in the middle of the 66 mile route. So, plenty of hill climbing coming up over the next few weeks in preparation for that. Yipee....NOT! lol

Hopey

I'll be here all day if I tried to describe today's point seeking ride with my usual essay. The solution: Bullet points!

https://www.strava.com/activities/869776468
  • Wife and I are at the inlaws for a night. Took the bike in the car and decided to do a ride here earlier this afternoon. New scenery!
  • Went from Falkirk - Stirling - Alloa - Clackmannanshire Bridge - Grangemouth - Falkirk. 99% of the trail was spent on NCN76.
  • 40 miles, or 64km - my longest ride to date! 1 point.
  • Beautiful scenery, beautiful views. One of the nicest rides I've ever done.
  • Got lost. A lot. Lots of backtracking, but that's fine. Thank goodness for GoogleMaps. Anyone know the game "Did I miss the NCN sign?". A right fun gamble.
  • Noticed I lost my father in law's drink bottle after taking a wrong turn down a very rocky path. Only noticed when I was going back in the right direction. Back tracked down to the wrong path and eventually found it Phew!
  • Mud, wow. Almost slipped over an embankment to what could have been a grizzly end! Glad I got a crossbike/gravel grinder/adventure bike. A road bike simply couldn't have taken some of those paths. Wet, deep mud. Bike needs a good clean tomorrow!
  • Interacted with 3 other cyclitsts - 2 mountain bikers who I briefly joined and 1 other fella (see below point)
  • Got a puncture on the way back home, just outside Stirling. Had a spare tube, but my saddlebag pump was atrocious. Massive thanks to Derek from Linlithgow who stopped and let me use his pump. We had a lovely chat as he very patiently waited for me to change the tube [it was my first time changing one at roadside]. He also gave me directions home - a much better route than I had planned. If you're reading this Derek, bless you my friend. Interactions like that make rides a whole lot more memorable.
  • Reminds me: I need to get myself a decent hand pump.
  • Also, I'm glad I practiced changing inner tubes at home. Forgot my tyre lever, but eventually managed to get it sorted. At least I know I can now change an inner tube at the side of the road.
  • Didn't expect to stay out so long. Was dark when I got home, and I was mostly on rural farm tracks with no street lighting. I need a more powerful front light!
  • Today was an adventure. A wonderful adventure, with it's own ups and downs. I bought the kind of bike I did (steel workhorse/do-it-all) for this exact purpose; to let me go anywhere and adventure. Puncture aside, my steed performed admirably. A wonderful day of cycling!

Katherine

Guru
I'll be here all day if I tried to describe today's point seeking ride with my usual essay. The solution: Bullet points!

• Wife and I are at the inlaws for a night. Took the bike in the car and decided to do a ride here earlier this afternoon. New scenery!
  • Went from Falkirk - Stirling - Alloa - Clackmannanshire Bridge - Grangemouth - Falkirk. 99% of the trail was spent on NCN76.
  • Got lost. A lot. Lots of backtracking, but that's fine. Thank goodness for GoogleMaps. Anyone know the game "Did I miss the NCN sign?". A right fun gamble.
  • Noticed I lost my father in law's drink bottle after taking a wrong turn down a very rocky path. Only noticed when I was going back in the right direction. Back tracked down to the wrong path and eventually found it Phew!
  • Mud, wow. Almost slipped over an embankment to what could have been a grizzly end! Glad I got a crossbike/gravel grinder/adventure bike. A road bike simply couldn't have taken some of those paths. Wet, deep mud. Bike needs a good clean tomorrow!
  • Interacted with 3 other cyclitsts - 2 mountain bikers who I briefly joined and 1 other fella (see below point)
  • Got a puncture on the way back home, just outside Stirling. Had a spare tube, but my saddlebag pump was atrocious. Massive thanks to Derek from Linlithgow who stopped and let me use his pump. We had a lovely chat as he very patiently waited for me to change the tube [it was my first time changing one at roadside]. He also gave me directions home - a much better route than I had planned. If you're reading this Derek, bless you my friend. Interactions like that make rides a whole lot more memorable.
  • Also, I'm glad I practiced changing inner tubes at home. Forgot my tyre lever, but eventually managed to get it sorted. At least I know I can now change an inner tube at the side of the road.
  • Didn't expect to stay out so long. Was dark when I got home, and I was mostly on rural farm tracks with no street lighting. I need a more powerful front light!
  • Today was an adventure. A wonderful adventure, with it's own ups and downs. I bought the kind of bike I did (steel workhorse/do-it-all) for this exact purpose; to let me go anywhere and adventure. Puncture aside, my steed performed admirably. A wonderful day of cycling!
Fantastic. Well done. A great report too.

13 rider

Guru

Sound like an epic day nice write up

aferris2

Guru
Got the February ride in at last. I was beginning to think I wouldn't get a chance in this short month. Going to see my Mum tomorrow who is not well so today was the only chance.
Not without its own problems though, but it was all my fault. I couldn't work out why my new Garmin wasn't guiding me round the course - until I realised I hadn't pressed START :blush:. It worked much better after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom