The 2017 Half Century (50 KM or 50 Mile) A Month Challenge - Chatzone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bruce1530

Guru
OK - I’m in....

Wasn’t sure whether I’d be able to take part - a fall at the end of november meant a few days in hospital and a month on crutches - so I was unsure whether I’d manage a decent ride in January.

But I did 52km this morning. Not fast or elegant, but I got there....

Renmurew

Veteran
I had intended to head out yesterday for another chance at a January point, but never quite got round to it because it was a bit frosty in the morning and I wanted to wait for the sun (what there was of it) to melt any frost off the road and by the time it did I felt it was too late to head out. So as there was no wind today and it was a few degrees warmer, I headed out after a late breakfast and ended up bagging another 50K. I headed from home to Arbroath and from there turned on to the coast road and had a lovely run up the coast to Montrose, then cycled round the Montrose Basin and headed off to Brechin and then through Kinnell to home again. The lovely think about this route is that I was never more than about 8 miles from home at any point, but I had many different choices of road that would have allowed me to head home early if I wanted to end the run before my target. Sometimes just knowing that you can head home if you want to is enough to keep you going had it not been getting a bit darker I might even have extended the run from Brechin into Forfar and added a further 20 miles and managed my first 50 mile cycle of the challenge. Roll on the longer days lol.

I'm loving that the challenge gives me added motivation to get out and cycle through this lovely part of the country that I live in, and sharing the stories of the ride with others and reading about their trips is also something that I hope will continue to push me on through the year.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I left it a bit late going out today but still had in mind doing 50+ km. I had lights on the bike so riding for 40 mins after sunset wouldn't have been a big deal. The problem was that I encountered fog on the Cragg Vale climb. The junction at Blackstone Edge reservoir is horrible in fog - I once witnessed a big pile-up there and I know of at least one fatality in other accidents. Better not to risk it, so I u-turned and went back. I could have ridden through Todmorden to Burnley and back to make up the distance but I was fed up of riding on the A646 so I cut the ride short at 35 km. I will get a 50 km ride in soon, one way or another.

13 rider

Guru
I left it a bit late going out today but still had in mind doing 50+ km. I had lights on the bike so riding for 40 mins after sunset wouldn't have been a big deal. The problem was that I encountered fog on the Cragg Vale climb. The junction at Blackstone Edge reservoir is horrible in fog - I once witnessed a big pile-up there and I know of at least one fatality in other accidents. Better not to risk it, so I u-turned and went back. I could have ridden through Todmorden to Burnley and back to make up the distance but I was fed up of riding on the A646 so I cut the ride short at 35 km. I will get a 50 km ride in soon, one way or another.
A like for getting out

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
A like for getting out
I Like to be Liked - ha ha! :laugh:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Well I'm off. Last week was a metric ton, so this week I was able to enjoy a shorter ride. I went on my fixed gear, but the guys I was with decided to have some fun with me, so I had to work extra hard on the downhills and the long flats. Still, the joke will be on them when I get on my summer bike. It was very foggy and very muddy, so the washing machine had a good work out too.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
First 50 km today, and most of it felt like bloody hard work in spite of picking my almost-pancake-flat route! Only the 2nd ride of 2017, and the first was a 15 mile bimble last weekend to break the duck.

Have a friend coming for the weekend, so should get another half century in then. I was thinking of something similar to my flat route of today, but MrS wants to go over the bridge and do something that involves a very long climb out of Monmouth. Today's ride probably showed I can do it (New Year cold almost gone), but he might have a very long wait at the top!

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
@ColinJ

Just to make sure i'e grasped the rules.
  1. I can do more than one 50 ride in a month and get points for all of them for that month
  2. I did a metric 50 the other day but broke it with a cup of tea at my parents for an hour or so, does that still count?
  3. I had completed the 50 and then got on a train to get home a bit quicker, I then did another 2 miles from station to home, would that count as part of a single ride.(20minute train ride)
Just want to be clear as I want to do the challenge but hate to cheat mself.

13 rider

Guru
@ColinJ

Just to make sure i'e grasped the rules.
  1. I can do more than one 50 ride in a month and get points for all of them for that month
  2. I did a metric 50 the other day but broke it with a cup of tea at my parents for an hour or so, does that still count?
  3. I had completed the 50 and then got on a train to get home a bit quicker, I then did another 2 miles from station to home, would that count as part of a single ride.(20minute train ride)
Just want to be clear as I want to do the challenge but hate to cheat mself.
Yes on all counts . The idea of the challenge is to get you out riding and basically we work on the rule if think it counts it counts . After all you are basically challenging yourself so you judge if you feel a ride should count. The points for the rides is purely personal and NOT a competition . After completing the challenge say last year with 50 points that's a target for next year more than 50

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Yes on all counts . The idea of the challenge is to get you out riding and basically we work on the rule if think it counts it counts . After all you are basically challenging yourself so you judge if you feel a ride should count. The points for the rides is purely personal and NOT a competition . After completing the challenge say last year with 50 points that's a target for next year more than 50

Ok well I was happy with the break at my parents and had done my 50 before hopping on the train, just wasn't sure.
I know it's not a comp, just wasn't sure what counts.
Well i'm off the mark then. Just wait for the snow and ice to go and I'll clock up some more points.

Cheers.:okay:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom