The 2017 Half Century (50 KM or 50 Mile) A Month Challenge - Chatzone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Katherine

Guru
DONE!!
I was going to try for my first metric half tomorrow but I saw the forecast for a deep freeze so I went this afternoon. Gorgeous ride, I stopped for too many pictures so I got a bit cold which spurred me on for a faster homeward leg. Glad I got out despite being gritted all over me as I was riding the lanes around Dunham Massey!! Grr. I'll write it up on the pc later after a hot bath.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
My initial goal from the challenge was to get 12 points. Ive never really cycled much in the winter and tend to be put off by high winds as I really just dont enjoy the slog on those days....
...Hopefully i'll stay motivated to get a longer ride in early in the month so that anything else feels like "icing on the cake" after that.

So, having set myself a target of 12 points, I've decided that this is maybe selling myself short a bit so I am upping that to....wait for it....13! Well, its my first attempt at this and I dont want to set myself up to fail right at the start lol.

I'm with you on this, I've been a relatively fair weather cyclist up until this year, and 12 points is my target. Like you, I got January out of the way early, another ride this month would be a bonus. Then I just need to worry about February! It surely gets easier after that once the days lengthen, and after all I've done November / December before (seems like only weeks ago!) so I'm happy I can do that. I appreciate that Angus weather ain't Hertfordshire weather (my wife is from Montrose), so good luck to you!

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
First one bagged and reported! It was a kind of Around-The-Houses, but venturing out into nearby villages and popping back into the outskirts of Ipswich every now and then. Have to thank @ColinJ for a piece of advice he offered to someone on another thread about tyre pressures. I'd played around with my settings ages ago and thought I'd got them right. Today I experimented with 90 psi in the rear and 85 in the front on the 25's I use with Patsy #2 The CX. A noticeable smother ride for what seemed a marginal decrease in pressure. No apparent loss in speed and I even felt less buggered at the end. :okay:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Have to thank @ColinJ for a piece of advice he offered to someone on another thread about tyre pressures. I'd played around with my settings ages ago and thought I'd got them right. Today I experimented with 90 psi in the rear and 85 in the front on the 25's I use with Patsy #2 The CX. A noticeable smother ride for what seemed a marginal decrease in pressure. No apparent loss in speed and I even felt less buggered at the end. :okay:
Yes, there is a lower pressure 'sweet spot' which makes riding way more comfortable without increasing rolling resistance or risk of pinch punctures too much. You can only find out where that spot is for you by experimentation.

I've been taking a break from the bike after my big efforts in December.

It is damp and chilly here today so I'll skip riding again but a 3-4 hour break in the mist and fog is forecast for tomorrow afternoon during which I aim to go out to bag my first 50 km ride of the year.

I am organising a 100 km ride for a week tomorrow. I'll try to get some more riding done in between those 2 rides.

Last edited:

Hopey

Long post, sorry, but I'm excited.

Considering I only started cycling last year I was hesitant about attempting this. Decided that I'd ride away and if I happened to qualify for the challenge at any point, I'd go for it.

Being a bit of a history buff, I have have always wanted to visit the village of Temple, which is home to a 13th Century Knights Templar base. Rather than driving, I decided to make a morning of it and cycle there! First real ride of the year.

Popped to the bike shop to buy a spare inner tube for the journey (didn't end up needing it, thankfully) which was about a mile from home - didn't turn Strava on until I left the shop.

Most of the route there was part of National Cycle Route 1. Must say that the route had had everything I could want from a route. Beautiful woodland trails, parks, past farm yards, etc...I generally saw places I never would have seen otherwise, which was one of the main reasons I bought the bike last year. There's a lot of beauty very close to home that you never notice.

After getting lost a couple of times, I eventually got to Temple and decided that my legs/stamina wouldn't let me cycle back the same route - I was in no way ready to go up some of the hills I went down. Opted to go home via the main road which was shorter, flatter and a tad more boring, but it took me back to civilisation so I was able to find somewhere to grab a quick lunch (seems I was slightly misguided in believing that some of the smaller villages in the middle of nowhere would at least have a wee shop...)

Anyways, got home and saw that I'd done 50km - not only was it the longest ride I've ever done to date, but it qualifies me for this challenge!

Picked a target of 13 points so that I have an incentive to keep pushing myself over the year. Think I've got the bug. Quick snap I took:
Temple.jpg

Last edited:

Renmurew

Veteran
Fantastic first ride report @RealDealWheel . Well done on your longest cycle so far. look forward to hearing of the next one.

Katherine

Guru
Long post, sorry, but I'm excited.

Considering I only started cycling last year I was hesitant about attempting this. Decided that I'd ride away and if I happened to qualify for the challenge at any point, I'd go for it.

Being a bit of a history buff, I have have always wanted to visit the village of Temple, which is home to a 13th Century Knights Templar base. Rather than driving, I decided to make a morning of it and cycle there! First real ride of the year.

Popped to the bike shop to buy a spare inner tube for the journey (didn't end up needing it, thankfully) which was about a mile from home - didn't turn Strava on until I left the shop.

Most of the route there was part of National Cycle Route 1. Must say that the route had had everything I could want from a route. Beautiful woodland trails, parks, past farm yards, etc...I generally saw places I never would have seen otherwise, which was one of the main reasons I bought the bike last year. There's a lot of beauty very close to home that you never notice.

After getting lost a couple of times, I eventually got to Temple and decided that my legs/stamina wouldn't let me cycle back the same route - I was in no way ready to go up some of the hills I went down. Opted to go home via the main road which was shorter, flatter and a tad more boring, but it took me back to civilisation so I was able to find somewhere to grab a quick lunch (seems I was slightly misguided in believing that some of the smaller villages in the middle of nowhere would at least have a wee shop...)

Anyways, got home and saw that I'd done 50km - not only was it the longest ride I've ever done to date, but it qualifies me for this challenge!

Picked a target of 13 points so that I have an incentive to keep pushing myself over the year. Think I've got the bug. Quick snap I took: View attachment 156452

Congratulations. I hope you stay smitten with the cycling bug.

Well done to all of those on the board so early in the year.

149 points from rides over 50km for me last year but not sure I'll make it back to that figure again this year but a ton of points would be good.

Hoping to get rid of this sniffle to ride tomorrow, decided against it this morning due to abject tiredness. Regardless, the desire not to break my run of 100 mile weeks will likely get me out tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom