The 2018 Half Century ( 50km or 50 mile ) a Month Challenge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
Sorry, forgot all about this, thanks for the prompt.

January : 1 point. :sad:

February:

11th, Uplawmoor down to Burnhouse and quite an early stop at the Dunlop Dairy.:hungry: Seen a minor sporting celebrity in there, didn't realise he lived round here. From there on to Stewarton which is tiny but tricky negotiating the lanes when the old ones are coming out of church. :eek: I take one of the many quiet back roads from there heading to Barrhead, but it was quite tough going with a cold biting head wind with no shelter, but it is reasonably flat. Barrhead back to home is on my normal commute, so no real dramas here although I did meet a local cycling club heading in the opposite direction travelling at a fair rate of knots. :thumbsup:
Screenshot_20180302-192918.png

18th,

Kippen to Drymen, it's not something I'd like to repeat. Very fast stretch of road and far too many drivers with no interest in your safety. Much better from Drymen following a section of the West Highland Way. No great hills to speak of but all up and down with enough wee pulls to turn my coupon brighter than the sun. Rowardennan is a dead end, so just turned round to do it all again but not before a decent pub lunch at the Drymen inn, which with hindsight, nay have been a bit of a mistake as my legs never really got going again. Almost 50 miles dead though, so not bad.

al3xsh

Über Member
February was a terrible month for cycling for me - I've been laid out for most of it with the (proper) flu and so didn't manage to get the 50 miler in that I'd hoped for. I'm still not recovered properly! My best ride in Feb was:

09/02/2018 - 35.17mi
Chesterfield - Cromford - Matlock - Bakewell - Chesterfield

(
January's was:

6th January - 51.9 miles
Chesterfield - Belper - Bakewell - Chesterfield
)

Fingers crossed for a better March!

A

slow scot

Veteran
2nd February.
Countesswells, Black Top, Westhill, Flora's, Drum, Deeside Way. (1 point)
4th February.
Countesswells, Blacktop, Lyne of Skene, Flora's, Park Bridge, Durris hills, Mill Inn, Deeside Way. (1 point)
7th February.
North Deeside, Park Bridge, South Deeside, Duthie Park. (1 point)
8th February.
Countesswells, Blacktop, Westhill, Flora's, Park Bridge, Durris hills, Mill Inn, Deeside Way. (1point)
16th February.
Countesswells, Blacktop, Garlogie, Loch of Skene, Flora's, Drum, Deeside Way, Duthie Park. (1point)
17th February.
Countesswells, Blacktop, Garlogie, Hirn, Banchory Tesco's, Flora's, Drum, Deeside Way. (1 point)
18th February.
C'wells, Blacktop, Westhill, Lyne of Skene, Flora's, Deeside Way. (1 point)
21st February.
C'wells, Blacktop, Garlogie, Echt, Flora's, Deeside Way, Duthie Park. (1 point)

All runs between 51 and 63 kms. Total points; 10.

Domus

Guru
January 1 Grange, Flookburgh, Cartmell, High Newton, Bowland Bridge, Witherslack and back to Grange. 50.4 kms 1 point
January 28 Home, Bury Edenfield, Rawtenstall, up and over Holcombe Hill, Bolton, Home 50.17 kms 1 point
February 2 Grange to Arnside via Levens. Return by same route 56.8 kms 1 point
February 4 Holcombe Hill ride again with small loop through Bury (don't ask) 53.25 kms 1point
February 7 Home, Bolton, Horwich, Chorley then back via Rivington and up and over Chorley Old Road 58.5 kms 1 point
February 21 Same route to see my mum in Chorley with short loop to Costa. 59.42 Kms 1 point
March 6 To Mum's and back but avoided Rivington, feeling out of sorts. 58.63 Kms 1 point

Running total 7 points

kapelmuur

Veteran
My first outdoor ride since 22nd February today, it seemed so mild compared with recent weather! Unfortunately my smart phone died on Sunday so I can't put up a Strava link. According to my Garmin I did 54km to get a point on the board for March.

I forgot to add my last 2 qualifying February rides which are:

20/2 https://www.strava.com/activities/1416916600. 53.6km
22/2 https://www.strava.com/activities/1420236887. 51.8km

10 points to date.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
8th January:- Home-Chertsey-Walton-Weybridge-Byfleet-Laleham-Staines-Home. 50.7km

8th February:- Home-Foxhills-Rowtown-Pyrford-Wisley-Cobham-Byfleet-Addlestone-Home. 51.7km

5th March:- Home-Wentworth-WGP-Cheapside-WGP-Home 52.5km

Lilliburlero

Pro sandbagger

Last edited:

dickyknees

Guru
January
22/01/2018 - 53.41 kms - 1 point

Port Penrhyn, Bangor to Conwy and return following the NCR 5.
30/01/2018 - 62.90 kms - 1 point
Home, Rhoscolyn, Trearddur Bay, Penrhosfeilw, Holyhead, Valley, Bodedern, Llynfaes, Gwalchmai, Dothan, RAF Valley, home.

February
01/02/2018 - 83.30kms (51.77 miles) - 2 points.

Home, RAF Valley, Dothan, Soar, Bethel, Llangaffo, Llanddaniel Fab, Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Menai Bridge and return following the outward route.
19/02/2018 - 52.28 kms (32.49 miles) - 1 point.
Port Penrhyn, Bangor to Conwy and return following the NCR 5. Nice bimble ride with two companions.
21/02/2018 - 73 kms (45.41 miles) - 1 point.
Home, Rhoscolyn, Trearddur Bay, Penrhosfeilw, Holyhead, Valley, Llanfachraeth, Llanfwrog, Llanfaethlu, Llanddeusant, Elim, Trefor x roads, Llanfair-yn-Neubwll, home
23/02/2018 - 56.03 kms (34.82 miles) - 1 point.
Home down the A5 to Llangefni, Lon Las Cefni to Malltraeth, Bethel, Soar, Dothan, Caergeiliog, Valley, home.

March
06/03/2018 - 70.90 (44.08 miles) - 1 point.

Home, Valley, Llanfachraeth, Llanfwrog, Llanfaethlu, Church Bay, Rhydwyn, Llanfair-yng-Nghornwy, Cemlyn, Llanfechell, Rhosgoch, Llanerchymedd, Coedana, Llynfaes, Gwalchmai, Caergeiliog, Valley, home.

Total - 8 points

Last edited:

Katherine

Guru
January
1st January
44 miles 1 point. SCC New Year's Day ride. Monton, Irlam, High Legh, Lostock Graham, Lower Peover, Knutsford, Dunham, Irlam, Winton.
7th January 35 miles 1 point. SCC ride to Rivington. Swinton, Westhoughton, Adlington, Rivington, Horwich, Rivington, Westhoughton, Walkden.
14th January 43 miles 1 point. SCC ride to High Legh. SDwinton, Leigh, Lymm, High Legh, Dunham, Irlam, Winton.
3 Points

February
1st February
32 miles 1 point. Winton, A57 bypass, Irlam, Dunham, Culcheth, Leigh, A580, Walkden.
4th February 50 miles 2 points. SCC Big Loop to Kenyon Hall Farm. Swinton, Kearsley, Westhaughton, Atherton, Bamfurlong, Golborne, Lowton, Kenyon, Croft, Birchwood, Hollins Green, Warburton, Dunham, Flixton, Irlam, Winton.

March
7th March
32 miles. 1point. Evening ride, Haydock, Lowton, Culcheth, Hollins Green, Eccles, Monton.

Total Points
Half Centuries: 7
Metric Centuries: 9

iandg

Legendary Member
January 2018

11th
(53.4km) Icy Callanish loop (Pentland Road - Breascleit - Callanish -Leurbost) https://www.strava.com/activities/1351642503 Cross-Check with snow/ice studs 1 point
19th (55.6km) Main roads to Callanish and back in the snow https://www.strava.com/activities/1364596391 Cross-Check with snow studs 1point

February 2018

25th
(51.6km) Icy - Main roads out and back (Stornoway - Barvas - Lower Shader) https://www.strava.com/activities/1424954943 Cross Check with Snow Studs 1 point

March 2018

7th
(57.8km) Birthday Ride: Callanish loop (Pentland Road - Breascleit - Callanish -Leurbost) + Town https://www.strava.com/activities/1441050157 Genesis Equilibrium 1 point

Total 4 points

Top Bottom