The 2018 Half Century ( 50km or 50 mile ) a Month Challenge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steverob

Guru
6th January: 33.67 miles - a loop round Cheddington, back home to pick up some tools I'd forgotten, then a loop out towards Waddesdon in the rain - https://www.strava.com/activities/1343610333 - 1 point
7th January: 31.16 miles - smashing tailwind all the way to Haddenham, then back via Longwick, Stoke Mandeville and Bierton to try and avoid a direct headwind (limited success on that) - https://www.strava.com/activities/1345376593 - 1 point

13th January: 64.44 miles - rolling hills and VeloViewer tile hunting out towards Hemel Hempstead and St. Albans accompanied by Simon - https://www.strava.com/activities/1355030433 - 3 points

Total so far: 5 points

Trying something different with my ride logs this year - rather than just a list of towns/villages I visited, I'm going to attempt to put a bit of a description of the actual ride instead. Might make it more relevant to anyone reading who isn't from my local area and so has no clue where the places I'm riding through actually are. However I will keep the Strava links just in case more details are needed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Jan 2nd 31.8 miles 1 point
Anstey ,St Bernards Abbey ,Shepshed ,Woodhouse Eaves ,Quorn ,Anstey
Jan 7th 50.1 miles 2 points
Anstey ,Cossington ,Rearsby ,Gaddesby ,Asfordby , Saxileby ,Barrow ,Quorn ,Swithland ,Anstey
Jan 13th 40.3 miles 1point
Quorn ,Barrow ,Old Dalby ,Willoughby ,East Leake ,Long Whatton ,Shepshed ,Anstey

Points in this challenge 4
Points in all challenges 8

Elysian_Roads

My first entry for the challenges.

Sunday morning social ride on a Triban 500. 65.37km. Solo from Cox Green, White Waltham, Paley Street to Moneyrow Green to meet up. Back to White Waltham, on to Warren Row then down Remenham Hill to Henley for a spot of breakfast. Retrace route to Moneyrow Green, on to Oakley Green then back solo to Cox Green via Paley Street, Shurlock Row, and Waltham At Lawrence. As hopefully this will be a regular ride, future postings will be reduced to only covering route variations!
Screenshot_20180114-123803.png

27-01-18 - 51.13 Miles, 4hrs 10 mins riding approx. 12.5 mph. Marin MTB. Cox Green, Holyport, Maidens Green, Bracknell, Swinley Forest (including the Blue Trail), Ascot, Windsor Great Park, Englefield Green, Runnymede, Old Windsor, Windsor, Dedworth, Holyport, Touchen End, White Waltham, Cox Green.

Total points so far 3

Last edited:
OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Jan 2nd 31.8 miles 1 point
Anstey ,St Bernards Abbey ,Shepshed ,Woodhouse Eaves ,Quorn ,Anstey
Jan 7th 50.1 miles 2 points
Anstey ,Cossington ,Rearsby ,Gaddesby ,Asfordby , Saxileby ,Barrow ,Quorn ,Swithland ,Anstey
Jan 13th 40.3 miles 1point
Quorn ,Barrow ,Old Dalby ,Willoughby ,East Leake ,Long Whatton ,Shepshed ,Anstey
Jan 14th 50.4 miles 2 points
Anstey ,Cossington ,Rearsby ,Gaddesby ,Nice pies ,Barrow ,Quorn ,Rothley ,Swithland ,Anstey

Points in this challenge 6
Points in all challenges 13

Last edited:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
1st January 2018
52.40 km
- Thorner, Bramham, Stutton, Ulleskelf, Church Fenton, Barkston Ash, Saxton, Lotherton Gates, Aberford, Barwick-in-Elmet, Scholes and on to home - 1 point

6th January 2018
54.52 km
- Scholes, Barwick, Aberford, Lotherton Gates, Towton, Ulleskelf, Ozendyke, Ryther, Biggin, Church Fenton, Barkston Ash, Saxton, Lotherton Gates, Aberford, Barwick, Scholes and on to home - 1 point

14th January 2018
50.05 km
- Shadwell, Slaid Hill, Scarcroft, Thorner, East Rigton, Collingham, Linton, Wetherby, Thorp Arch, Boston Spa, Clifford, Bramham, Thorner and the long way round to home - 1 point

Challenge points: 3 points

Reports in 'Your Ride today' :okay:

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
January
5th Culcheth, Glazebury, Warburton, Lymm, Mere, Knutsford, Tatton Park, Rostherne, Lymm, Warburton, Culcheth, Croft and home 56 kms 1 point
7th Fernhead, Woolston, Warburton, Irlam, Flixton, Worsley, East Lancs to Lowton, WInwick, Houghton Green, Locking Stumps, Croft and home 55 kms 1 point.
14th Croft, Winwick, Ashton in Makerfield, Earlstown, St Helens (where some tw@t almost left hooked me), Windle, Bickerstaffe, Melling, Kirkby, Rainford, WIndle, East Lancs to Lane Head, Kenyon, Croft and home 72 kms 1 point.

Running total 3 points

Slick

Guru
After much humming and hawing, I decided to go for a run today despite the less than ideal conditions. There was a stiff cold southerly wind blowing which almost put me off but as it was heading in my general direction, I decided to give it a go as I'm off to Aberdeen tonight for a week then Birmingham the week after next so might struggle to get many more miles in this month. I'm also having a bit of a blonde moment with Strava, so may need to add the link later.

Uplawmoor into Neilston and Barrhead took me down through the centre of paisley and Glasgow airport. There's a nice new albeit short cycle path from there through to Paisley Moss which means I don't need to go near St James interchange, then through Inchinnan and over the Erskine bridge into Bowling. I avoided the cycle path there as I was beginning to feel the cold and was looking for a coffee stop but everything was closed. Rejoined the cycle path at the quarry into Dumbarton for what I thought was a well deserved coffe and hot roll, but I immediately regretted it as I never really got back up to temperature. Followed the path on the Leven through Alexandria and into Balloch before calling a halt passed Cameron house and Duck Bay.

I have to mention the sad sight of all the flowers for the boys who passed away in the fire. Rip.

Anyway, almost 50k on the button so first point on the board.

January
6th. 51km. Caistor, N.Kelsey, S.Kelsey, Brandy Wharf, Redbourne, Hibaldstow, Scawby, Brigg, Howsham, N.Kelsey, Caistor. 1 Point.
13th. 57km. Caistor, N.Kelsey, S.Kelsey, Brandy Wharf, Bishop Norton, Caenby, Normanby-by-Spital, Toft-Next-Newton, W.Rasen, Osgodby,
S.Kelsey, Moortown Caistor. 1 Point

Running points total : 2.

Slick

Guru
After much humming and hawing, I decided to go for a run today despite the less than ideal conditions. There was a stiff cold southerly wind blowing which almost put me off but as it was heading in my general direction, I decided to give it a go as I'm off to Aberdeen tonight for a week then Birmingham the week after next so might struggle to get many more miles in this month. I'm also having a bit of a blonde moment with Strava, so may need to add the link later.

Uplawmoor into Neilston and Barrhead took me down through the centre of paisley and Glasgow airport. There's a nice new albeit short cycle path from there through to Paisley Moss which means I don't need to go near St James interchange, then through Inchinnan and over the Erskine bridge into Bowling. I avoided the cycle path there as I was beginning to feel the cold and was looking for a coffee stop but everything was closed. Rejoined the cycle path at the quarry into Dumbarton for what I thought was a well deserved coffe and hot roll, but I immediately regretted it as I never really got back up to temperature. Followed the path on the Leven through Alexandria and into Balloch before calling a halt passed Cameron house and Duck Bay.

I have to mention the sad sight of all the flowers for the boys who passed away in the fire. Rip.

Anyway, almost 50k on the button so first point on the board.
Still struggling with Strave, but this was emailed to me.

Check out “Lunch Ride” on Relive! https://www.relive.cc/view/1357296333

Top Bottom