The 2021 Half Century (50km or 50m) a month challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So the every reliable low tech paper tick is primed for 2021 with 31 names on it . Still 1 day so we might get some late entrants
Good luck to everyone taking on the challenge
January's seems to be a strange month with some riders struggling to get rides in and other riders having a great month for rides

I hope I'm on there for my one point a few weeks back. Its been an odd month, heavily on Zwift with 708 miles so far and 31.06 outside. Its normally far more outside biased but I'm struggling to get outside due to no commute and the snow and ice.

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
I hope I'm on there for my one point a few weeks back. Its been an odd month, heavily on Zwift with 708 miles so far and 31.06 outside. Its normally far more outside biased but I'm struggling to get outside due to no commute and the snow and ice.
Yes mate I saw the ride on Strava and counted you in .I expect you will update the thread in about May :laugh:
Been a terrible month I'm only 7 miles in front of you and the consecutive days run ending on Monday due to the ice

Gibbo9

Veteran
Beautiful ride yesterday. I left early so it was still dark and chilly (see previous post :blush:). I was rather concerned about attempting a 100k ride as my legs are feeling a little tired, I have pushed hard this month (especially having done nothing in Nov, Dec due to the rain). Anyway I got onto the river and encountered my first incline at 5k (a bump really) out of the saddle to push up and over and my thighs screamed at me. This was a worry as I had intentionally included a good hill at the front end. Got to the hill and laboured at the start finding it tough going but then my thighs eased off and the rest was a breeze.

Really enjoyable although my thighs would tell you otherwise as I type this. Just got back from a 30k recovery bimble so feeling a little better. May even adjourn to the local later for wings and a beer or 2. 50k planned for tomorrow though, February is here, almost.

Sun came out as I was climbing and I was greeted at the top by this magnificent view.
4.jpg

Sunrise at the top of cemetery hill. Stunning!

5.jpg

101 in all its glory.

6.jpg

Riverside temple. Tons of these out here as you'd expect.

7.jpg

Yes that is the riverside cycle path. I rode up those mountains last year and intend to again this year, once I am hill fit of course.

Yes mate I saw the ride on Strava and counted you in .I expect you will update the thread in about May :laugh:
Been a terrible month I'm only 7 miles in front of you and the consecutive days run ending on Monday due to the ice

May would mean an improvement!!

Didnt notice the consecutive days run ending! Bet your legs hurt when you got back on again, its always the way with me!

footloose crow

Über Member
1 Feb. It just keeps raining.....

I listened to the rain all night. I knew it was cold out there too when the cat jumped onto the bed and settled on my chest, purring loudly. This morning I have severe lockdown lassitude and no energy for anything. It has rained for days now. The lawn has a layer of water on it and there are muddy streams of soil lying across it from the fields that slope down to the house.

I look at the bike, that is currently allowed to live indoors. It looks back at me, inscrutable, impassive. I have no idea what it is trying to say. Go out? Stay in? Don't care?

There is mist hanging around the trees and I can't see the field edges from the window. Skeins of thin, cold rain process across the garden.

'Sighing won't help'. Sage words from my wife. 'Go out, you make me feel nervous just staring out the window'.

It is not as cold as I thought it would be once I get moving. I really like my new bike although I worry about getting it muddy and wet. We hiss through the standing water on the lanes, rumble over the gravel deposited at every field gate, skitter over the larger stones and make our mucky progress along empty roads. I can feel my head getting colder as the rain penetrates and the wind cuts grooves in my skull. I change my mind about being warm. I am getting colder.

No matter. I am out and pedalling and that is enough. The lassitude has gone. There is no plan today. Just left or right and down some new lanes, hoping I end up somewhere I know.

1612203852547.jpeg

Soft shell jackets are great but this one is getting wetter, heavier and colder as the ride goes on. Water is no longer beading on the arms and I can also feel my shoes filling. Some of the puddles are deeper than I thought.

The day is grey above and grey below. Even the hedgerows have been dulled and lost their colour. A patch of snowdrops and some blades of green that will be daffodils eventually do cheer me, a flash of colour in a monochrome world. A final hill, steep broken tarmac, a forgotten lane. It is steep. I haven't been up this one before and I can feel why. Chest exploding, nauseous but at least a bit warmer at the top although my jacket continues to hang lugubriously off my shoulders with all the water it has absorbed.

Nothing has changed when I get home. Everything is still wet. The lawn continues to squelch, sending ripples of water as I walk across it. The bike is less dirty than I expected. The rain has washed it clean(ish) as we have gone along. I drip in the hall, removing layers. The cat watches, unimpressed. He isn't going outside today but I am glad that I did.

The weather forecast has a sun symbol for tomorrow. It is so long since I have seen one I had look it up.

Screenshot 2021-02-01 at 17.49.37.png

Here comes the rain again......

Screenshot 2021-02-01 at 17.56.43.png

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
@footloose crow , I haven't seen a Jan ride in the 2021 challenge thread but may have seen a write up somewhere for one ,Can you update the challenge thread and I will add you my the tick list many thanks
Another great write up
Edit
Found your write for Jan's in the Chatzone so your on the list making it 32 of us . Just update the challenge thread when you get round to it

Last edited:

fatjel

Veteran
Went out yesterday fully intending to ride around town for 50k but the temptation to go home for a coffee and sit down was getting to me so headed out of town toward Llandeilo for a bit. My aching legs and slow average speed evidence of just how little cycling I've done the last few years.

Domus

Guru
Weather forecast for weekend being dire and Covid jab tomorrow, I took advantage of a pleasant morning to add another point. Went up to Abbey Village through Belmont and through Brinscall into Chorley. Coffee and cake at Fredericks and then usual route home through Horwich, a little overdressed at times but the quite scary 62 KPH descent, on a damp road and rim brakes, into Abbey Village was a bit chilly. It was a bit lumpy with 770 metres of climbing. Still it must be doing me good...............I hope.

Top Bottom