The 2024 Half Century (50km or 50 mile) Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I had planned to ride out to the Forest of Bowland yesterday as part of a metric century.

If I cycle there and back a big chunk of the total distance is taken up by that, leaving less time on the nicer FoB roads.

My more appealing plan had been to ride there but finish off riding over the hill to Blackburn and catching a train home from there.

I discovered before setting off though that there was an overtime ban affecting Northern rail travel. Most of the trains would 'probably' be running but I didn't want to risk ending up at Blackburn station and finding out that either no trains were running to Todmorden, or that I would have to wait hours for one. That particular ride was therefore postponed...

I decided to do a local 50 instead. 54 km in fact - Tod, Walsden, Calderbook, Caldermoor, Littleborough, the A58 up to Blackstone Edge, my anticlockwise loop through Hubberton Green, then back down to Littleborough and directly back on the A6033.

There were some nice sunny spells, but the recent chilly wind was still blowing. I felt quite tired when I got home so I was glad that I had only done half the originally planned distance. Nearly the same amount of climbing though - 900 m/nearly 3,000 ft.

Last edited:

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Yay! And double yay! I did it. 100 consecutive months of at least one 50k ride. Still getting over the after-effects of my second bout of COVID, so this has been extra special.

Here's a pic of some of the wonderful skies. I like clouds. :rolleyes:

Henley 24.4.24.jpg

Slick

Guru
Early monthly round up and last weekend reminder as @13 rider is off on a jolly for a few days
We have 25 riders fully posted up leaving 6 riders with March rides posted yet to post so a nudge for @Spinney ,@Eribiste ,@slow scot ,@FrothNinja ,@Slick and @Sbudge

My performance in this challenge has been woeful this year, but I will get one in this weekend or maybe even Friday afternoon. :thumbsup:

Domus

Guru
Trains to Barrow running again after the derailment last month.
a dry cloudy day was forecast so Grange to Barrow at 09.16, rode to Walney for the official start point of the Bay Cycle Way. The clouds cleared but the cold wind overcame any warmth from the sun. Bigland is always my downfall on this route. Only once have I managed the climb without putting my foot down. Today was not destined to be a second. Only after cleaning the bike did I notice my cassette was 11-32 and not 11-34 as on my other bike. Next cassette will be a 34.
another point in the bag.

Top Bottom