The 2024 Half Century (50km or 50 mile) Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

13 rider

Guru
It's back again by popular demand ( at least 2 people asked for it )
Welcome to the Tenth edition of the half century a month challenge
This thread is just for chatting about the challenge ,The challenge thread will be up soon ready for Jan 1st and gives a run down of the rules
The challenge remains as popular as ever and gets us out riding perhaps when we need that bit of extra motivation , strangely addictive you've been warned
I once again will be acting as general taskmaster( some say cruel taskmaster) ,encouraging ( some say bullying ) you along and trying to keep everyone in order ( bit like herding cats) .
Good luck to everyone who enters ,may 2024 be the year of the tailwinds ,downhills and glorious weather
Anyone thinking about entering for the first time just give it a go were a friendly little corner of the forum ( mostly unless I find out you've only riden 49km 😤 Grr ) and everyone is encouraged ( or bullied ) along to get to the finish line

bluenotebob

Veteran
I’d persuaded myself in November that 2023 would be my last year in this challenge .. but no, I will have another crack at it next year.

I will only post my qualifying rides in the 2024 HMCAM challenge thread, ie I won’t post any of my Lunacy Distance rides there – nor will I post any multi-bike rides that I do – but these will be reflected in my ‘Total Points In All Challenges’ count.

Good luck to everyone taking part – I wish you all a successful and enjoyable 2024.

Slick

Guru
I can't remember exactly how many I've done now and how many have passed since my last full year, but I reckon I completed 2019 and 2020 with a failed attempt in 2021 when going for my highest points total due to still commuting when everyone else was furloughed. 2022 was ruined by injury and I can only assume so was 2023, so I'm going for it in 2024 and looking to get a 50 on the board as soon as possible in January.

Thanks for setting this up again, I'm looking forward to it. :okay:

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
@Slick a quick record check has you completing in 2018 and 19 a non finish in 20 ( COVID year) non start 21 and non complete in 22 ( I presume your injury sorry can't remember) non start 23 .If I'm correct this will be your hat trick year
Good luck

Slick

Guru
@Slick a quick record check has you completing in 2018 and 19 a non finish in 20 ( COVID year) non start 21 and non complete in 22 ( I presume your injury sorry can't remember) non start 23 .If I'm correct this will be your hat trick year
Good luck

Ah, that makes more sense.

Time seems to fly by.

steverob

Guru
Will be going for my 10th year, although officially my ninth (which is why I've only got 8 stars in my signature). Turns out I was doing this challenge by sheer chance a year and a bit before I joined this forum - my streak of monthly 50km rides goes back to March 2014.

However I am determined to do much better next year - 2023 was my lowest point total ever and with an entry to Ride London in the offing, I've really got to get out on the bike more and for much longer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Will be going for my 10th year, although officially my ninth (which is why I've only got 8 stars in my signature). Turns out I was doing this challenge by sheer chance a year and a bit before I joined this forum - my streak of monthly 50km rides goes back to March 2014.

However I am determined to do much better next year - 2023 was my lowest point total ever and with an entry to Ride London in the offing, I've really got to get out on the bike more and for much longer.
If it didn't happen on Cyclechat it didn't happen 😁

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Can you enter this challenge and the metric century challenge at the same.time?
Yes , technically there are no rules stopping you cross posting 1 100km ride to complete both challenges in 1 ride , however it is generally expected that you need to do a different ride for each challenge in the spirit of fair play . Otherwise everyone who completes the imperial century challenge would automatically complete the 2 lesser distance challenges ,
If you think you will struggle to complete 2 challenge rides a month I'd suggest going for the longer one and if it doesn't work out you can drop into the lesser challenge as a fall back .
For the last 7 years I have completed at least 1 50km ride ,1 100km ride and an imperial century once a month so it's doable but I wouldnt say it's easy or recommend being as obsessive as me

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill
Yes , technically there are no rules stopping you cross posting 1 100km ride to complete both challenges in 1 ride , however it is generally expected that you need to do a different ride for each challenge in the spirit of fair play . Otherwise everyone who completes the imperial century challenge would automatically complete the 2 lesser distance challenges ,
If you think you will struggle to complete 2 challenge rides a month I'd suggest going for the longer one and if it doesn't work out you can drop into the lesser challenge as a fall back .
For the last 7 years I have completed at least 1 50km ride ,1 100km ride and an imperial century once a month so it's doable but I wouldnt say it's easy or recommend being as obsessive as me

Thanks. I only joined CC midway through this year and would have joined the 100k challenge, but didn't do 100k in January. May have similar issues this year, but suppose I should aim high. Count me in for this one and I shall enter the other as well

Top Bottom