The 2024 Half Century (50km or 50 mile) Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Got one in early before the rain came. Double socks, double gloves, long tights and long-sleeved fleecy top. I'm becoming a fair weather cyclist, but this was a relatively comfortable winter ride. Out through the Severnside villages, dodging the odd large puddle where the river had come over. Got a real incentive to keep going this year, as I've got a trip to France booked for the summer and will get the chance to ride on the Isle of Skye again later in the year. I've also worked out that I need 1,875.7 miles this year to complete my second lap of the planet a whole year faster than my first lap. That's the first 32.2 miles done.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I had no intention of riding 52km on New Years Day. But Queen Margrethe of Denmark suprised us all yesterday by announcing her abdication after 52 years on the throne. She announced this in her New Years speech.

I rode the 52km in respect for her and the duty she has performed for the country.

Screenshot_20240101_134833_Strava.jpg

Screenshot_20240101_133949_Google.jpg

Screenshot_20240101_133434_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240101_134112_Google.jpg

Screenshot_20240101_134230_Google.jpg

Slick

Guru
I'm finally back in the game. :bravo:

I wasn't feeling too clever this morning and could easily have given it a miss this early in the month, but between this challenge, my brother and the excellent sunny weather, if not today then when, would have been the relevant question.

I forgot my shoe covers and got soaked trying to negotiate the flooded sections of the cycle path running along the Levin, which left me with cold wet feet for the rest of the ride. Other than that, it was a great ride, and we met a number of other cyclists out just enjoying the day.

That will probably be it for me for the rest of the month, unless I go back to taking my bike in the back of the car and try getting out between meetings.

Nice to be back. :okay:

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Bang and were off , congratulations to @Bazzer the first to post a 2024 ride closely followed by a new recruit in @Cathryn although I'm not convinced a MUG of Champagne is really a recovery drink .
I'm off the mark too with a nice 31.8 miler around the lanes towards Market Bosworth avoiding the flooded bits to keep my feet dry
👍
IIRC monarchs change more frequently than it is for me to be the first to post in any month. I was therefore surprised to be the first of the year. Having been for a non qualifying ride yesterday, going for ride today was not on the horizon. It was a more a matter of seizing the opportunity to get out for a couple of hours or so. 😁

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
👍
IIRC monarchs change more frequently than it is for me to be the first to post in any month. I was therefore surprised to be the first of the year. Having been for a non qualifying ride yesterday, going for ride today was not on the horizon. It was a more a matter of seizing the opportunity to get out for a couple of hours or so. 😁
I would have been first but I couldn't be bothered to get out of bed early enough , with the weather being like it has been any sunshine needs taking advantage off

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I am impressed by how many of you managed to get 50s in today!

At 04:00 I planned the route of the one I would do today. At 05:00 I finally got to sleep. At 08:30 I woke myself up to check that I had not overslept, then went back to sleep. And again at 09:30... When I woke up for the third time at 10:15 I decided to give up on sleep and started to put my cycling kit on. Then I realised that I felt absolutely knackered and really didn't want to do it!

So, off and on since then I have been dozing on the sofa, having wasted what looks like the best weather for the first 4 days of 2024.

The end of the week is forecast to be dry but chilly. I will try to do my first 50 of the year then.

Domus

Guru
Very nice ride today with The Chorlton Wanderers, as it's 20 Kms to the meeting point it's quite easy to get a 2 pointer with them.
Nice lunch in the Railway, Mobberley and a more direct route back the the start before my 20 Kms through Manchester. No rain, light winds but lots of standing water. Good to start with a 2 pointer. :okay:

Top Bottom