The 2024 Half Century (50km or 50 mile) Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill
Ooh, tempting, but the date may make it difficult for me. Need to have a think.

6e09f03caf0d4d5e51f98a9a2adf5aa9.gif

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Aaaaaaand back in The Game! I've worked out that if I can get to April, I'll have done 100 consecutive months, which will count as A Good Thing and worth celebrating in the pub.
A cold ride, but the sun kept pushing through the clouds to make it worth while. Of course, I misjudged it and had to ride around the block when I got home. (I'm thinking of keeping a total on these 'extras'.)
This at Foxhall - just outside Ipswich.

IMG_4792.jpg

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
A very good challenge - a bit demanding for me, but not overwhelmingly long. Thanks for the effort to set it up.
Just for a clarification for me: My commute is a bit over 24km per way. If I'd get lostdo a detour on the way home at the same day - would that combined distance meet the criteria despite that there are several hours between the legs?

Thank you.

E.
Technically under the rules any day of 50km total would qualify, However I feel it's slightly against the ethos of the challenge which is to get you out riding when normally you wouldn't and really all you would be doing is your normal routine . To be honest if you commute 48km a day surely your fitness would allow you to ride 50km which is 31.07 miles once during a month .At the end of the day the challenge is completely personal,it's not a competition so If your happy to post a combined commuting day then feel free

EckyH

Technically under the rules any day of 50km total would qualify. However I feel it's slightly against the ethos of the challenge which is to get you out riding when normally you wouldn't and really all you would be doing is your normal routine.
Thank you very much.
Ethos and fairness mean a lot to me.

E.

Last edited:

Domus

Guru
Out today after two failed attempts this week, Mrs Domus is still clinging onto the very bad cold and cough and so playing nursemaid all week.
This morning she declared herself well enough to relieve me of caring duties for a few hours.
Blooming cold in Rossendale, :cold:. The coffee shop in Bacup I was aiming for was closed, :cry: however, I remembered reading about a café in a church, so expecting a volunteer type place run by a couple of old dears I was most surprised to find a commercial set up and quite busy too. :okay:
Once thawed out I climbed up to Britannia for a fast and very cold descent into Whitworth, easy riding back home via Heywood and Pilsworth for a well earned point.

Slick

Guru
So got another qualifying ride in, which is a surprise to me as I really only planned 1 for this month. It was a nice but a cold start from Aberfoyle straight up over the Dukes Pass, which is a tough start right out the gate. It wasn't unexpected, but care was required on the way back down as there was substantial patches of thick ice on some corners as the sun just doesn't get to most of that side in winter. It was a reasonably straightforward run round with delicious coffee cake and tea at the wee cafe which is always a welcome site, but as we came out of that the snow started and it was at this point that I realised I made a mistake by not taking my cycling glasses. That made the last 12 miles a bit of a challenge but it was enjoyable just the same, and I'm now enjoying my reward after giving the steed a very quick rinse and spray. :becool:

IMG-20240114-WA0010.jpeg

Domus

Guru
Another day out in the Cheshire Lanes with the Chorlton Wanderers, very easy pace with a super pub lunch in Lymm. The unexpected rain came at lunchtime, most convenient. Another two points in the bag. :okay:

Chap sur le velo

Über Member
Did I miss how you get your Star for last year? I'm feeling bereft ...
I could probably do it myself if I knew how to get into the bottom bit of my posts? The Ride 100 was for 2022 and needs to come off!

slow scot

Veteran
Due to injury, then man flu, followed by snow and ice, I didn’t think I was going to get a January ride in. Which, of course, meant falling at the first hurdle. However I got a 53km ride in today, and although the body is complaining now I hope I’m in for the year’s challenge.

Last edited:
Top Bottom