The 2024 Half Century (50km or 50 mile) Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Well done @Jon George first poster for February beat me by 26 mins, I would have beaten him but for an aborted start to my ride ,A mile away from home I realised my front Mech wasn't shifting ,so back home swap bikes which means shoe swap and back for a slightly longer than normal loop 36 miles in the bag and February ticked off

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Well done @Jon George first poster for February beat me by 26 mins, I would have beaten him but for an aborted start to my ride ,A mile away from home I realised my front Mech wasn't shifting ,so back home swap bikes which means shoe swap and back for a slightly longer than normal loop 36 miles in the bag and February ticked off

As I believe you have said in the past: 'You snooze, you lose'. ^_^

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
A great today to be out on a bike, here in Suffolk.
I do have a degree in electronics, but it was only yesterday that I discovered the function to take panoramic photographs on my phone's camera.:rolleyes:
Here's one such from today.

IMG_4827.jpg

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Went out today for February’s ride! I was planning to take my road bike which has been completely revamped since June’s accident and I haven’t yet ridden it! But the weather closed in and the thought of new skinny road tyres on wet roads didn’t appeal, so I took my touring bike! This month, a pal came with me on her MTB, she’s much fitter than me so we were very well matched and had an absolute blast chatting along for 50km. She’s single and her life is VERY different and more exciting than mine!! Those miles flew by! Lovely lunch/coffee/orangina at the Honey Street Mill cafe and then over the hill home. Now safely on the sofa with blankets and two cats.

Really grateful for this challenge motivating me to get out on my bike in damp, mizzly conditions. I would usually reschedule but didn’t because my friend came with me! And surprise, it wasn’t that bad! Loved it! Buzzing!

Domus

Guru
A wee bit breezy over the top from Belmont to Rivington and a bit damp as well. Took refuge in Rivington Tea Rooms for well earned beans on toast and double espresso. The forecast was for a balmy 11º C so dispensed with the winter longs and went with spring/autumn longs.
Oh dear, was a bit chilly when they got wet. Survived though and another point in the bag.

Slick

Guru
February ride done.

This was yesterday, but I was seeing the reports coming in and February can be a dodgy month and for some reason was getting anxious about getting my own ride in. I was sitting at my desk with the sun streaming in the windows and I thought of this challenge and decided to sneak away from work early and get February's ride done.

It was a cracking ride, right up until I turned back into the wind, but thankfully didn't take long to get the shelter again.

This was a hybrid route of 2 of my usual loops, but I don't think it will be the last time I use it, as it was the best day at work I've had for a while.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Another ride in for this month; albeit much of it was fog and mist.
2 ridiculously close passes which will be reported to the police. An unexpected bonus was picking up the letter G in the ABC of pubs challenge.

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Just my 2nd challenge ride of the month ,out into a murky misty day ,Made the route up as I went many detours due to floods with just rain water pooling in dips in the road . Watched one cyclist go through one flood which was knee deep 😮 ,but he was nearly home ,I still would have gone round . Pushed on towards the end just to slip under 2hrs ,1hr 59mi 27secs to be exact 😁

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Out for a 50km ride today doing a bit of exploring, following a post in the 100km challenge by @Willd where he mentioned a place local to me which I thought was a typo , despite living locally all my live (56 years ) and working as a mobile engineer for 25 years I had never heard any mention of this place the mythical Bufton . It's clearly marked on an OS map and I had cycled through in numerous times . So today I was checking to see if there was any signs indicating it's existence , Answer No it just a collection of about 6 houses at the end of Bufton lane 😁 ,no road signs and it name didn't appear on any road direction signs I'd past . Then checked out Osbaston tollgate another place on the OS map but with no markings , I had noticed Tollgate cottage on the Junction but nothing else it now just joined on to Osbaston village .

Last edited:
OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Top Bottom