The 2026 Half Century (50km or 50 mile) a month challenge chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
One thing you might consider @sevenfourate is to fit a simple odometer on to the bike. I have one on each of my bikes - and I swap my Garmin equivalent onto whatever bike I'm riding.

That way, if one fails, the other keeps going and (in theory anyway) you shouldn't have the problem you've just experienced.
 

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
What device are you using to record Strava , my sister has lots of GPS dropouts using her phone

iPhone 17 Pro-Max . Strava always up to date. Same with IOS on the Phone.

It’s a bit more than a loss of Data though imo. I picked the phone out my Jersey at about 26 miles to check the time (My Coospo GPS is on my ongoing ‘road bike build’) and put it right back in my Jersey.

Next time I looked it was completely frozen with the White Screen / delete app and upload again message. This isn’t just blip / a temporary signal / GPS loss or other. This is the System jammed / corrupted so badly it’s at a point where only a complete reset jolts it into life again.

Annoying to say the least…..🙄
 

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
One thing you might consider @sevenfourate is to fit a simple odometer on to the bike. I have one on each of my bikes - and I swap my Garmin equivalent onto whatever bike I'm riding.

That way, if one fails, the other keeps going and (in theory anyway) you shouldn't have the problem you've just experienced.

I’ve just got a Coospo head unit. It’s on my current road bike build. I do have a spare mount though now - and could also put one on the Carrera (Today’s bike).

But presumably the GPS would take its Data from Strava in terms of the Strava recording ? Ie: If my phone (The app fails) I’ll still lose the Strava data regardless ?

I guess if I’d pre planned the route through Coospo - I’d still have a record of completing that route / complete with the total distance I’d ridden through the GPS on the Coospo ?
 
OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Legendary Member
iPhone 17 Pro-Max . Strava always up to date. Same with IOS on the Phone.

It’s a bit more than a loss of Data though imo. I picked the phone out my Jersey at about 26 miles to check the time (My Coospo GPS is on my ongoing ‘road bike build’) and put it right back in my Jersey.

Next time I looked it was completely frozen with the White Screen / delete app and upload again message. This isn’t just blip / a temporary signal / GPS loss or other. This is the System jammed / corrupted so badly it’s at a point where only a complete reset jolts it into life again.

Annoying to say the least…..🙄
Personally I would always use a GPS unit (I use wahoo) rather than my phone ,can you get a spare mount and swap the GPS between bikes
 

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I guess if I’d pre planned the route through Coospo - I’d still have a record of completing that route / complete with the total distance I’d ridden through the GPS on the Coospo ?
The GPS will happily show you what you are doing as you do it, and what you did after you finish. It should be happy to completely ignore the very existence of Strava! :laugh:

If you want a permanent detailed record of every ride that you do, then yes, a dead Strava would be a pain though. A pain that you pay for!

I sync my Wahoo to TrainingPeaks but that is only uploading data from the GPS after I get home; nothing comes the other way. All the stats are on the head unit and sometimes they take a while to be uploaded to TP.

I plot my routes on cycle.travel. I like to support its running and development so I make a monthly payment to do that.
 

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Personally I would always use a GPS unit (I use wahoo) rather than my phone ,can you get a spare mount and swap the GPS between bikes

As per my last post - I do now have a spare mount. Just hoping it’s got the reducers needed to fit to 22mm bars. *Tomorrows ‘homework’ sorted 👍
 

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
The GPS will happily show you what you are doing as you do it, and what you did after you finish. It should be happy to completely ignore the very existence of Strava! :laugh:

If you want a permanent detailed record of every ride that you do, then yes, a dead Strava would be a pain though. A pain that you pay for!

I sync my Wahoo to TrainingPeaks but that is only uploading data from the GPS after I get home; nothing comes the other way. All the stats are on the head unit and sometimes they take a while to be uploaded to TP.

I plot my routes on cycle.travel. I like to support its running and development so I make a monthly payment to do that.

Cheers Colin. Forecast is great here tomorrow. I’ll get the dog walking and wife entertaining ̶C̶h̶o̶r̶e̶s̶ activities done 😉

Then get a mount on the Carrera sorted and start to have a play with the Coospo. Which I think is a 5-Satellite GPS unit and supposed to be fabulous in that respect.
 

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I just checked the companion app for my Wahoo. I had set it up to upload to TP, but apparently the details of all of my rides are still on it so I can retrospectively upload them to Strava or many other platforms.

The Wahoo can store thousands of hours worth of ride data unless most of its memory has already been used to store many countries worth of map data. If it ever gets close to running out of memory it starts to delete the data of the oldest rides to make space.
 

Donger

A.K.A. Buster Nuvverbike (componentry destroyer)
One thing you might consider @sevenfourate is to fit a simple odometer on to the bike. I have one on each of my bikes - and I swap my Garmin equivalent onto whatever bike I'm riding.

That way, if one fails, the other keeps going and (in theory anyway) you shouldn't have the problem you've just experienced.
Old school. I like it.
 
I’ve just got a Coospo head unit. It’s on my current road bike build. I do have a spare mount though now - and could also put one on the Carrera (Today’s bike).

But presumably the GPS would take its Data from Strava in terms of the Strava recording ? Ie: If my phone (The app fails) I’ll still lose the Strava data regardless ?

I guess if I’d pre planned the route through Coospo - I’d still have a record of completing that route / complete with the total distance I’d ridden through the GPS on the Coospo ?

I meant have a non-GPS set-up on your bike as a fail-safe ("a simple odometer").
 
  • Like
Reactions: C R
Top Bottom