The 20p Question Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
This thread is for CC'ers to pose their daft, outlandish, bizarre, but nevertheless genuine questions, and for other CC'ers to give their sensible (ha!) answers.

I'll start.

You own a house on the coast, and perhaps the cliff collapses and the land collapses into the sea, or pehaps sea level rises and forever swamps your property.

Do you still own the land, ie, the same land but now on the seabed, or when the land disappears under the sea do you lose claim to it?

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
This thread is for CC'ers to pose their daft, outlandish, bizarre, but nevertheless genuine questions, and for other CC'ers to give their sensible (ha!) answers.

I'll start.

You own a house on the coast, and perhaps the cliff collapses and the land collapses into the sea, or pehaps sea level rises and forever swamps your property.

Do you still own the land, ie, the same land but now on the seabed, or when the land disappears under the sea do you lose claim to it?
Once it's dropped into the sea, I guess it belongs to the Queen as the monarch owns everything twixt high and low tide.

God bless Her Majesty 👑

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Another ownership question.
If a meteorite lands in your garden do you own it? Because the one that landed last week was given to the Natural History Museum.
I was wondering if the family could have made a fast buck and sold it instead?

D

Deleted member 26715

If we did as they have done in Netherlands & made new land where the sea used to be, would we in the UK have to buy that seabed from Lizzy?

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Seeing as Lizzie has been mentioned a few times upthread - how far from the UK does a Swan have to fly before it is no longer owned by HM?

And what would happen if Lizzie was convicted of drunk/drug driving/speeding? She doesn't have a driving licence to suspend.

Last edited:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
From recollection, I believe anything below the mean high tide level is considered to be foreshore, and thus assumed by a legal presumption to be owned by Her Maj. Where any counter claim to ownership is made, notice would be served on the Crown Estates, who would most likely object to its registration.

My parents owned a property in Epney (Glos) that adjoined the East bank of the tidal River Severn. Over a period of about twenty years they lost something like twenty feet of plum orchard to erosion. Whilst the plan in their Land Registry Land Certificate might have still shown the extent of their property as it was on the date of purchase, all Land Registry plans are liable to being updated to reflect the current Ordnance Survey detail. A lesser extent would eventually be substituted by Land Registry, although it might take many years for there to be any pressing reason for them to do so. The flip side of this is that the farm land on the opposite bank is constantly getting bigger due to accretion, and could eventually be added to the title plan of that farm.

Last edited:

I'll start.

Watching this thread with interest, as when I posted recently that I was buying a holiday let, a few mentioned erosion 😜

This pic is not the one I'm buying tho!!

Top Bottom