The 20p Question Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
If ( when , depending on replies ) I dig a hole in my garden and break through in China , can I claim the planet as mine ?

I think, what would concern me about that scenario would be, .... if you fell down said hole, would you emerge in China, or, as I suspect, would you, with the force of gravity, sort of yo-you up and down, until, eventually you came to rest, in the middle?

clid61

Veteran
I think, what would concern me about that scenario would be, .... if you fell down said hole, would you emerge in China, or, as I suspect, would you, with the force of gravity, sort of yo-you up and down, until, eventually you came to rest, in the middle?
Middle Earth :smile: would I own the Orcs ?

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
If ( when , depending on replies ) I dig a hole in my garden and break through in China , can I claim the planet as mine ?
Theoretically your freehold title extends to a tiny point at the centre of the earth (unless the title deeds specifically exclude mines and minerals beneath the surface) and to the top of the atmosphere. But, before you ask, no you can't claim control over flight paths overhead! Even absolute freehold ownership is actually not the complete ownership that it seems, as of course it is secondary to the crown's overall ownership of the whole of the UK. It is more a case of being granted the free use and holding of your little patch in perpetuity against any claims of all other lowly minions of the realm.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
If someone say's bye a number of time before they finally end the call, does that mean it means more than if they just say bye once?

I never feel any different when that happens to me, should i?

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member

We can chuckle, but that's essentially what triggered the first gulf war. Iraq had a huge oil field and a tiny bit fell over the border into Kuwait. The Kuwaitis, never one to miss a trick, sank a mahoosive well into their square acre and drained the whole lot dry, which displeased the Iraqis just a teensy bit.

houblon

QUOTE="Drago, post: 6345260, member: 22751"]
We can chuckle, but that's essentially what triggered the first gulf war. Iraq had a huge oil field and a tiny bit fell over the border into Kuwait. The Kuwaitis, never one to miss a trick, sank a mahoosive well into their square acre and drained the whole lot dry, which displeased the Iraqis just a teensy bit.
[/QUOTE]

I wonder if that was a deliberate satire? Never occurred to me when I first saw it.

snorri

Legendary Member
and - what if someone later on built a wall out into the sea and created a marine lake where your house used to be - and then charged people to use the new lake would be able to reclaim (sorry) your land back???
No, the land is no longer there so cannot be yours.
The area previously occupied by a house has become seabed and would come under the jurisdiction of the Crown Estates Commissioners(CEC). The person wishing to build the wall would be required to negotiate with CEC before reclaiming the land.
(I think:biggrin:)

Do prisoners and prison officers stay in their vehicles on the Isle of Wight ferries, while everyone else has to go upstairs? Or are there cells on board the ferries?

snorri

Legendary Member
Seeing as Lizzie has been mentioned a few times upthread - how far from the UK does a Swan have to fly before it is no longer owned by HM?
That depends on where the journey is starting from, but if starting from England and close to the Welsh or Scottish border, it wouldn't be worth flapping the wings, just a few steps would be enough to gain freedom.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
If someone say's bye a number of time before they finally end the call, does that mean it means more than if they just say bye once?

I never feel any different when that happens to me, should i?
Or do people really mean it when they close the conversation with "Take care"?
Or is it a threat?
Or am I just paranoid?

Top Bottom