The 8 o’clock nhs clapping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
It was kinda cool the first week, when it was dark, but no need for it now. To be honest the whole thing's a bit much, a respectful clap is nice, but the whole charade on Westminster bridge the other week, boats doing circles on the Thames, people shaming their neighbours for not joining in? What a pious bunch of daffodils.
Probably the same ones out making lots of unnecessary trips earlier! :laugh:

postman

Legendary Member
Lots of clap up my end.
You can get a cream for it,i am told.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Been locking the cats in on Thursdays for weeks because they've been scared of noise/fireworks/parties.
Tonight was the quietist for ages.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I find it to be a lot of social media induced nonsense.
NHS employees are not heroes, just normal people going about their job which unfortunately has, through no fault of their own, become somewhat dangerous of late. They've been saving lives for decades and the general public hasn't given that much thought before.
The same happy clappy types will no doubt be at A&E in a few months time, or whenever this is mostly forgotten, demanding immediate attention for the paper cut on their finger and threatening legal action if they're not seen right away.
I say this as a supposed key worker at a care home. Nothing at all heroic about my job, and I wouldn't be comfortable clapping myself.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
I find it to be a lot of social media induced nonsense.
NHS employees are not heroes, just normal people going about their job which unfortunately has, through no fault of their own, become somewhat dangerous of late. They've been saving lives for decades and the general public hasn't given that much thought before.
The same happy clappy types will no doubt be at A&E in a few months time, or whenever this is mostly forgotten, demanding immediate attention for the paper cut on their finger and threatening legal action if they're not seen right away.
I say this as a supposed key worker at a care home. Nothing at all heroic about my job, and I wouldn't be comfortable clapping myself.

Cyclechat‘s most fitting avatar award goes to...

classic33

Leg End Member
Cyclechat‘s most fitting avatar award goes to...
As someone who's been into an A&E department seven times so far this year(first four months). All beyond my or anyones control. I appreciate the work they do in that department on more than just two minutes on the last few Thursdays.

They're aware of the work they do every day. They don't see themselves as being special.

A bigger appreciation of them would be to not waste their time, or be abusive towards them as they try to help you. Sadly I don't think that either will happen, once all this is over.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
As someone who's been into an A&E department seven times so far this year(first four months). All beyond my or anyones control. I appreciate the work they do in that department on more than just two minutes on the last few Thursdays.

They're aware of the work they do every day. They don't see themselves as being special.

A bigger appreciation of them would be to not waste their time, or be abusive towards them as they try to help you. Sadly I don't think that either will happen, once all this is over.

Amen. It's why I don't join in with the Thursday happy clap, it's utterly pointless, self congratulatory crap. I'll continue to respect NHS staff as I always have and I hope others will too. I'm happy to make sure I do not add to their burden, and I'm happy to pay more tax to pay them better.
The clapping is just more "Facebook like" generation, "look-at-me" bullshit.
I'm only surprised that it took so long for the "show off my wealth" fireworks self-gratification artists to crawl out of the woodwork and claim it was for everyone else's benefit.

Last edited:

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
I'm not doing it at all.

classic33

Leg End Member
Part of me thinks "Bah, humbug!", and part thinks it's a pretty harmless activity. At the very least, judging by the thrilled looks on their faces, it gives a lot of pleasure to small children who have been locked up for days on end.
The younger end I can understand, the older end is harder to work out. Given the current situation, with more than a few not bothering about the restrictions, only themselves. Why do they see fit to make a display of appreciation for only two minutes on the one night of the week.

As I'm typing this there's a party going on at a nearby house. "Social Distancing" seems to have been forgotten, and two will be leaving in cars, behind the wheel. Who'll pick up their pieces if they have an accident. The same people they were clapping for?

Top Bottom