The ache after cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
F

fattony

Maybe I just expect to much, I remember my quad muscle literally vanished, I had a 3 month period between injury and surgery so all in I didn’t walk properly for about 5 months, that said I’m well over a year post op, although going up and downstairs hurts every day and struggle with single leg squats..... they’re tough!

vickster

Legendary Member
Maybe I just expect to much, I remember my quad muscle literally vanished, I had a 3 month period between injury and surgery so all in I didn’t walk properly for about 5 months, that said I’m well over a year post op, although going up and downstairs hurts every day and struggle with single leg squats..... they’re tough!
You need to keep up with that physio :okay: Try some hydrotherapy, great low impact way to stretch and strengthen :smile:

OP
OP
F

fattony

To follow up on this, I tweaked the saddle height, initially went a bit too high I think, my average speed went from 12.5mph to 14.5mph Over 25 miles, could saddle height really cause that?

Yesterday I dropped the saddle a bit loaded myself with gels and snacks went out and did 50 miles, 2400ft climbing and averaged 14.6mph.

Thigh aches a bit today but not the hip so I guess my issue was down to positioning.

65 mile ride planned for next weekend so needed the 50 to get ready for it

Sharky

Guru
Having an efficient saddle height is going to increase your average speed, but some of the increase could be a placebo effect. Change something and you go out and try harder and end up going quicker. To be scientific, you could set the saddle to how it was at the low position and do the same 25 mile route. But I bet you would return 14.5 average as well.

However as you have found a better saddle height - keep it and try even harder.

Get a proper bike fit done ( cleats to head). Get some foam rollers, and learn how to use them ( internets are great for this ). If you’ve still got issues, see a professional physio.

CXRAndy

Guru
To follow up on this, I tweaked the saddle height, initially went a bit too high I think, my average speed went from 12.5mph to 14.5mph Over 25 miles, could saddle height really cause that?

Yesterday I dropped the saddle a bit loaded myself with gels and snacks went out and did 50 miles, 2400ft climbing and averaged 14.6mph.

Thigh aches a bit today but not the hip so I guess my issue was down to positioning.

65 mile ride planned for next weekend so needed the 50 to get ready for it

Saddle height is crucial, for some it has to be mm perfect. After saddle height, reach and stack.

Top Bottom