The ache after cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fattony

As per title, I suffer from muscle ache after a ride and it doesn’t seem to get easier so I’m missing something....

I initially thought it was muscles in my arse but I’ve google it and think it’s the hip rotator, how do you guys get round this?

Thanks

Drago

Legendary Member
Greetings Sir,

So, so many potential causes and solutions. Whats your age, cycling experience, mileage, and fitness? How well does the bike set up fit you? Any underlying health issues?

gbb

Legendary Member
Two very basic things might help.
Make sure your saddle is the correct height. Usually if it's too low it can cause burning thighs.
Pedal at a good cadence and use the gears to maintain that cadence. 90rpm is a good pace, it takes a lot of strain off you.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Get a battery hand held tens machine off Amazon. After your shower and when you are sat watching TV find where it aches and attach the pads for 15 minutes.

It works and it is relaxing.

Sharky

Guru
How far and how often?
Probably need to cut down on the distance/time until you find a comfortable distance, then build up gradually.

If I don't feel pains after a ride, I feel that I haven't tried hard enough.

OP
OP
F

fattony

Ok, we’ll ive been riding fairly regularly following a knee operation since last February.

Mileage wise upto 30 miles, average speed 13mph. I think the bike is setup right (keen cycling friend helped me)

So other than my knee, yes I get burning in thigh but this is when climbing hills so think it’s normal, other than that I think I’m fairly healthy.... bmi is about 24

vickster

Legendary Member
Do you stretch after riding?

Have you discussed with a physio? Probably worth getting a thorough assessment. Knee issues can mess everything up from hips to feet. Cost about £50-70 with a private sports physio depending on location

What did you actually have done to your knee and were you diligent with rehab?

OP
OP
F

fattony

I haven’t had physio for some time, I’d feel a bit of a tit saying I’ve got an ache in my arse after a bike ride..... I just thought it would get easier.

I had a torn meniscus which was repaired, about 8 weeks on crutches and then 8 weeks of physio, when I first got the bike I couldn’t even get the peddle round all the way due to pain and swelling!

I took about 9 weeks off work and just rested on the sofa.

I guess if it continues I’ll have to go and see someone, didn’t link it to my knee, now I’m wondering if it was both sides or not now, interesting thought it being linked to knee

Stretch after riding..... I’m guilty of that, what would you recommend?

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
As per title, I suffer from muscle ache after a ride and it doesn’t seem to get easier so I’m missing something....

I initially thought it was muscles in my arse but I’ve google it and think it’s the hip rotator, how do you guys get round this?

Thanks
I have a beer after every ride, Relaxes my body. i put all aches and pains down to age,:cheers::laugh:
Seriously though saddle hight is critical.:okay:

Globalti

Legendary Member
A beer is a much more sensible post-ride therapy than stretching. In moderation beer rehydrates you, replaces energy and relaxes you as well as taking care of constipation caused by dehydration. Stretching, on the other hand, is now becoming less fashionable as medics realise it probably doesn't help recovery and can even cause injury if done wrong.

Milzy

Guru
A beer is a much more sensible post-ride therapy than stretching. In moderation beer rehydrates you, replaces energy and relaxes you as well as taking care of constipation caused by dehydration. Stretching, on the other hand, is now becoming less fashionable as medics realise it probably doesn't help recovery and can even cause injury if done wrong.
Good because I’ve been using beer for years. Better than that SIS regro rubbish that’s like a nesquick milkshake & gains you more weight than a nice ale or stout.

vickster

Legendary Member
If the OP has tight muscles or an imbalance, he should ideally be stretching daily under physio supervision

Globalti

Legendary Member
This stuff about tight or imbalanced muscles sounds dubious to me. The body reacts very rapidly to the stresses placed upon it by building muscle and to prevent the limbs from curling up it builds opposing muscle. In the long term even the skeleton reacts to habitual stress by building bone where it's needed. How could a person be exercising so wrongly for so long that the body creates unbalanced muscles?

vickster

Legendary Member
This stuff about tight or imbalanced muscles sounds dubious to me. The body reacts very rapidly to the stresses placed upon it by building muscle and to prevent the limbs from curling up it builds opposing muscle. In the long term even the skeleton reacts to habitual stress by building bone where it's needed. How could a person be exercising so wrongly for so long that the body creates unbalanced muscles?
Not only due to exercise but general lifestyle, the OP drives for 4-5 hours a day for example. Sitting creates lots of issues, tight calves, shortened hamstrings, tight hip flexors etc. Also affects posture of course, neck, shoulders, spine

Not to mention, he's not long out of knee surgery. 8 weeks on crutches and lying around will have equally taken its toll which 8 weeks of rehab however intense may not have resolved

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine

It's very common, I see it all the time.
Muscle builds as a consequence of the stress placed on it.
Hence pro cyclists have massive quadriceps and calf muscles.
But are not so strong elsewhere.

Inequality in muscle strength, and short but powerful muscles, combined with a lack of flexibility are a major cause of sports injurues.

In yoga we learn to work all the muscles equally , keep them close to the bones, and keep them long.

Things like fallen arches, and tight hamstrings can be made better by intelligent working to correct.

And extending the front edge of the spine to keep chest open for lung function is vital.

It takes time and knowledge to get right.

Just like adjusting a bike.
But given that your body is your primary piece of biking (and life) kit, it makes sense to learn, and practice this stuff.

Top Bottom