The aesthetics and visual appeal of bicycle helmets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

philtalksbx

Über Member
Done.
Shape ok, not sure about colour. Weight, comfort and ventilation would be my priorities for commuting. Also matters what bike type - I have different helmets for my road (no peak, swept back for visibility) and MTB.

philtalksbx

Über Member
Hi Mike,
Thanks for your feedback. The helmet has been designed to extend down the mid-lower portion of the back of the head. This was based on looking at existing helmets, particularly in the mountain biking range. As you mentioned, it may extend too far down the neck, and even pose as a hazard. This will need to be checked during prototyping.

Thanks
My old Giro was a pain 'cos it was deep at the back and snagged the toggle in the collar of my Altura jacket. Caught every time I turned my head to look over a shoulder.

Gave up at page 3. I can't state what I'd look for in a commuter helmet because I don't commute by bike, so am not qualified.
I'd prefer to see helmet design reflect the feedback from riders, and from people who believe a helmet would cause more injury than in prevents, i.e. rotational.
Only when helmets fulfill their required function more fully should we sit back and make decisions about aesthetics.

I'm currently using a £125 Specialized helmet that I assume has been built to be cheaper to manufacture, and therefore has lost an adjustment that the £65 helmet it replaced had. This adjuster was the 'triangle' adjuster where the straps in front of and behind the ear meet. The new helmet has no adjustment, the old one did.
So is performance in an accident being sacrificed to make a Chinese production line cheaper?

Sods_Laur

Hi Joe
I, and probably quite a few of the other women on this forum, get really, really ****ed off by things labelled as 'women's version' when the only difference is that they are pink, or pastel blue.
What she said. I went to Evans the other day to look at helmets, the men's ones were in a range of colours - flouro yellow, green, red, blue and so on. The women's were pink, purple, silver and purple, black and purple, white and... you guessed it - purple! I bought a man's helmet.

Don't do this.

Top Bottom