The aesthetics and visual appeal of bicycle helmets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joe B

Hello Everyone,

I am new to Cycle Chat. My name is Joe and I am a student and road cyclist studying Product Design at Loughborough University in the UK.
I am currently undertaking a major design project involving the design of a bicycle helmet.
The aesthetics and visual appeal is one element of the design, and I would be very interested to see what you think of my progress so far. I am still in the flexible development stage of the design process, so I hope to use your feedback and responses to further develop and improve the design.
I have put together a check-box survey regarding the aesthetics and visual appeal of bicycle helmets.
I would be very grateful if you could spare a few moments to fill this in.

Many thanks for your time and contribution to my project.

Joe

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1yC...viewform?sid&c=0&w=1&token&usp=mail_form_link

jack smith

Veteran
Done! Not for me bud would suit people who don't like to race about lol

Ganymede

Veteran
Done. I really like the design and would wear it (50 year old female). I was amused at how your age brackets stopped at >49!! I also didn't say which age bracket I thought it was appropriate for as I think, although it's probably aimed at younger people, I think a lot of older people might like it too. DIdn't want to pigeonhole it into a very narrow age-range. I imagine it in a subtle dark violet or a British Racing Green or mustard yellow, something unusual. (Not *ffing pink....)

D

Deleted member 23692

Done.

It would be nice if the prospective market age bracket was multi-choice rather than picking just one 3-4 year block

MikeG

Guru
What's going on with the neck "protection"? That will not only make the thing unwearable, it would probably make it lethal in the event of a crash. We aren't riding motorbikes, you know.

OP
OP
J

Joe B

Done. I really like the design and would wear it (50 year old female). I was amused at how your age brackets stopped at >49!! I also didn't say which age bracket I thought it was appropriate for as I think, although it's probably aimed at younger people, I think a lot of older people might like it too. DIdn't want to pigeonhole it into a very narrow age-range. I imagine it in a subtle dark violet or a British Racing Green or mustard yellow, something unusual. (Not *ffing pink....)

Thanks for your comments Ganymede. It is very interesting to hear your thoughts on the prospective target market. The solid block colour at the front offers a lot of possibilities. I will remove any trace of pink! How about Raspberry?!!

OP
OP
J

Joe B

What's going on with the neck "protection"? That will not only make the thing unwearable, it would probably make it lethal in the event of a crash. We aren't riding motorbikes, you know.

Hi Mike,
Thanks for your feedback. The helmet has been designed to extend down the mid-lower portion of the back of the head. This was based on looking at existing helmets, particularly in the mountain biking range. As you mentioned, it may extend too far down the neck, and even pose as a hazard. This will need to be checked during prototyping.

Thanks

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Hi Joe
Just a further comment, based on the fact that you asked if the design was suited to male/female/both.

I, and probably quite a few of the other women on this forum, get really, really pissed off by things labelled as 'women's version' when the only difference is that they are pink, or pastel blue. So much so, in my case, that I would likely walk away from the brand altogether.

Nowt wrong with womens' versions when there is a genuine difference - for example in clothing when the body shapes of men and women are obviously different, but too often the women's range in (say) bikes is merely a cosmetic colour change, and perhaps extending the range down to a smaller size (that would actually work for a young teenager of either gender!).

This is probably a marketing thing rather than design though, and there some women who like pink and flowery...

Last edited:
Top Bottom