The alcoholic beverage thread...what are you supping right now?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pjd57

Veteran

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
It's a very decent imperial stout. Slightly dry but with rich coffee and chocolate notes. 11.5%. More a slow sipper than a chewer.
Silly alcohol for a beer or stout.
Anything over 6% is beyond my taste pallet. It just gets over powered by alcohol.
At which point I’d rather drink rum.

stephec

Legendary Member
Silly alcohol for a beer or stout.
Anything over 6% is beyond my taste pallet. It just gets over powered by alcohol.
At which point I’d rather drink rum.
You're not having flashbacks to Special Brew and Tennant's Super are you?

There's some really good high strength beers around now where the alcohol adds to the flavour rather than just smashing you in the face.

Brewdog make three of my favourites at the moment -

Jackhammer 7.2%
Double Punk 8.2%
Mr President 9.2%

Tenkaykev

Guru
There are so many excellent small breweries now that it’s a constant pleasure trying beers that you might not have given a second thought to. Mrs Tenkaykev and I received a Beer “ advent calendar “ a case of 24x 330ml cans of assorted beers and shared one can each evening. We also use an App called “ Untappd “ to make a note of beers we have tried.
I’m currently back on the Stouts and Porters with “ Eight Grain Porter” from The Brew Shack in Sixpenny Handley being my current favourite.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I may go and have a couple of Master Brews in my local beer garden after my homemade pizza and the tourists are on their way home.

postman

Legendary Member
I am going to Sainsbury tomorrow.Beer 🍺 for Fathers day,plus beer for 31st Wedding Anniversary at the end ofthe month,plus going to buy two minature whiskys the Monkey Shoulder.I have been supporting local shops,but the new owners are selling ale at £2-45 for a bottle I can buy in Sainsbury for £1-25,sorry but I can understand they pay more but got to be sensible.

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
Amarillo Pale Ale from Calvors, brewing in Suffolk since 2008. They have kept us supplied since lockdown 1.

"We brew by hand using only water, whole hops, locally malted barley and yeast. No chemicals, no preservatives. No compromise."
Wonderful stuff :cheers:

Last edited:

bitsandbobs

Über Member
Amarillo Pale Ale from Calvors, brewing in Suffolk since 2008. They have kept us supplied since lockdown 1.

"We brew by hand using only water, whole hops, locally malted barley and yeast. No chemicals, no preservatives. No compromise."
Wonderful stuff :cheers:

This is the kind of guff that would put me off a brewery! 100% of beer is 100% chemicals and hops are a preservative.

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
This is the kind of guff that would put me off a brewery! 100% of beer is 100% chemicals and hops are a preservative.

We wanted to avoid a particular ingredient, so looked for beers with a full list of ingredients, not just ones that say "contains". We had some delivered and liked it, didn't care about the marketing blurb.

Top Bottom