The Americas - bottom to top.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yellow7

Über Member
My first post in a while and of the new year, so may your wheels take you to pastures new!

I'm now well and truly underway on my latest tour, departing Ushuaia in November and have switched a few times from Argentina to Chile, the Carratera Austral proved both good and bad, it was great to arrive in Villa O'Higgins! Just completed the Atacama Desert section via the Ruta 5 Pan Am highway, I loved that!

I intended to enter Bolivia next, but, with it presently being its rainy season I'm heading firstly back through northern Argentina, to Paraguay, then to Bolivia, that should let the wet stuff pass in Bolivia before I enter.

If anyone cares for a read - Keeping my post's shorter than previous tours - I've just published my latest posting; wallisonwheels.net

Enjoy! Mark

An entertaining blog. I've travelled much of that route, though not on two wheels, and this certainly brings back some excellent memories.

OP
OP
Yellow7

Yellow7

Über Member
Did you drive it? I'm surprised just how expensive Argentina and Chile are, many supermarket goods are dearer than Britain. When I'm in big town's and cities I use hostels, they're not such a bad price, well, apart from Ushuaia but luckily I had a warmshower host there, which is always a great way to start a tour. I'm now in Salta en-route to Paraguay.

Yes, motorised transport with lots of wheels (truck trip about ten years ago). It is rather expensive, yes, though restaurants in both countries are less than an equivalent in the UK I thought. I was also in hostels when not camping and they're pretty good for the most part, price and quality wise. Ushuaia camping was a toasty 5C when I was there in mid summer.

Paraguay is excellent. At least I liked it. Very much what people tend to imagine as 'real South America'. Significantly cheaper than either Chile or Argentina as a result of that. Even cheaper than Bolivia iirc, but both are very inexpensive, and very dusty. Given the red colour of most of the soil in Paraguay I imagine you're going to be an interesting colour after cycling through it! Sounds like an excellent trip to cycle. I'm envious.

Top Bottom