The Annual Lunacy (aka "I Don't Do Winter") Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm basically 12+ hours elapsed time for 200km with 2-3000m of climbing. I've accepted it's a struggle and accept that if it's full value audax time that's OK. Two of them were skin of teeth jobs in challenging weather, if I'd been denied my brevet I probably would have given up cycling in a huff.
I have noticed even on metric centuries recently that I haven't managed to average 15 km/hr! :sad:

(I don't mind taking my time on chatty social rides, but I don't like the idea of not being fit enough to complete a 200 within the time limit... Must try harder!)

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Mind you, I got fit enough to do faster hilly 200s by (hard-to-grasp concept!) actually riding hilly 200s... I don't do them any more, which might just have something to do with me slowing down! :whistle:

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
Mind you, I got fit enough to do faster hilly 200s by (hard-to-grasp concept!) actually riding hilly 200s... I don't do them any more, which might just have something to do with me slowing down! :whistle:
I keep hoping that by riding hillyish 200s eventually I will manage them OKish and not be Lanterne Rouge. One can dream.

Fiona R

I've attempted to combine the two. My list is sorted by ride length, in descending order, so I can drop the shortest off the bottom if I do more than thirteen, but I'm numbering each line by ride order and emboldening the most recent one, so the list contains both sets of information.

I like @steverob 's idea of a dotted line delimiter. Whether I'll do more than thirteen is questionable though, as 150+km is definitely at the top end of what I want to do. 'A bit over 100km' still feels like my distance!
I've gone outside my boring date order mentality and done this.

I had reason to update as June's ride was done on the 1st! Managed Sam Weller's Day Trip to Wochma 200km Audax. Train failings, navigational errors at start meant that I was 80 minutes late starting and rode it like a DIY as Lanterne Rouge again. Great route, very hot in Wye Valley esp with extra diversions round Tintern. Sublime descent through Didmarton Woods. Evidence of one other rider at Malmesbury control who left before me. Got back 13 hrs after start time, me and trying to time trial to catch up doesn't work! Real elapsed time just under 12 hours. Seems to be my 200km time. Full Value.

Last edited:

aferris2

Guru
Another ride done so that just leaves 5 more to do. Decided to make the most of the weather and get out while it was still sunny (it's not looking good for the rest of the week). Went out to explore some new roads and revisit a couple that I last rode for my very first job after univeristy (almost 40 years ago). I thought the roads were pretty flat then, but they seem very hilly now!
A lot of the roads were just about single track and almost completely deserted which is something that I have discovered by riding during the week.
Not as warm as forecast but very pleasant in the sun. There were lots of dark clouds in front of me on the way home so I thought I was going to get wet towards the end of the ride but they just went past without dropping anything so it was dry to the end.

steverob

Guru
Well that's it on this challenge for a little while - just done my seventh ride, but after I get back from my short break in Scotland next week, I'm going to have to start picking up my running training, which reduces my availability for doing long rides. I might be able to squeeze one more in over the summer, but it's likely the rest will have to all be done from late September onwards.

As for today's ride, it was the annual sportive that starts from my home town (Tour de Vale), which I tend to make an effort to enter most years. This year I was joined by my good friend and former work colleague Adam, who I'd promised I'd drag up the hills if necessary - he's normally way fitter/faster than me, but up until last week had been training for a sprint triathlon and so hadn't been doing any long rides, so doing a 100km course (especially one where it was back loaded with short steep climbs) was not something he was looking forward to.

Nevertheless, we both made it round successfully and I only had to wait for him once at the top of a climb for any meaningful length of time, so I think he did really well. Weather was a bit cold at first, so was glad I'd brought my windproof layer with me, but this then got stuffed in a jersey pocket about 10 miles in as the sun started to break through the clouds.

When we got back to the ride finish, partook of a hog roast bap or two (proceeds going to Wheelpower - the spinal injuries sporting charity, as they organise this event) before riding the last three miles home at a much more sedate pace!

Down to 'two to go' now. It'll be nice to get back to the freedom to do 'just over 100km' type rides again. I feel that's my distance, though of course the point of the Lunacy Challenge is to be stretching.

Today's ride was a very fine trundle over moderately hilly terrain across the Great Asby Scar, then across the Pennines from Brough to Middleton-in-Teesdale, and then down to Barnard Castle. 101km - splendid stuff - very enjoyable. The trouble was, it being a Lunacy Challenge trundle, some idiot had appended to it an even more splendid, 80km, uber-hilly ride: across the Dales and over four very substantial climbs to make up the numbers. (Yes, that's an overshoot on my 150km target, but I wanted to get across into Teesdale.)

I tried to do the pair of Kirtons 600km audax at the weekend. A little overkill when I only need 100miles!
The weather was terrible on the Saturday. Rain pretty much from 6am until 8pm. The rain washed the oil off my chain and the noise was terrible. Not having a chance to re-oil the chain for about 100miles meant it started skipping on the gears. I put my ipod on to avoid listening to the chain but stopped at 500km. Shame as I was in good shape to finish, but there are other days and other rides to do a 600.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
7th one on the board, wind was a bugger but over half way now.

Finished!

Well, completed anyway. I may do more rides of over 150km this year, though it's nice to have the option of 'long rides' from now on being just over 100km rather than just over 150km.

Fittingly, given that the whole I don't do winter challenge concept was his idea in the first place, my thirteenth ride was on @ColinJ 's excellent Yorkshire Dales / Ribble Valley forum ride yesterday.

aferris2

Guru
10th ride completed yesterday. Was determined to do a ride this weekend and had to make the decision between hot and slight breeze or cooler but windy. Chose the hot one in the end but with a destination on the coast which should be a bit cooler. Had to do several detours due to closed roads but ended up at St. Peter's chapel in reasonably good time. Found myself a nice spot to sit and have some lunch and enjoyed a couple of hours in the sun. Then it was time to get back home. I quickly realised that I was getting through my supplies of water far too quickly so headed towards Maldon to top up with some water (and a large Mr. Whippy 99).
Came across some fresh top dressing on the road to Bicknacre. I don't think there was one car that was doing anywhere close to the 20 mph maximum speed and discovered that my legs were completely splattered with tar when I go home.
Very exhausting day overall, but I really enjoyed it. Today will be spent trying to remove the tar from the bike.

steverob

Guru
So we are officially half way through the year - barring someone logging a late ride sometime this evening - and it looks like most people (@Sea of vapours excepted of course!) seem to be somewhere around the 5-8 rides mark. However, what I was wondering was what would everyone's score would be if for some reason the year finished tomorrow...

Looking back through all my stats for the year, my 13th longest distance day (as of today) is 38.97 miles, which I'm pleasantly surprised by and my 12th is 50.09 miles, so just one more target ride would break the imperial half century barrier as well.

How's everyone else doing?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Hmm ... 51km! :laugh: 5 qualifying rides for this challenge (161+ km), 5 other rides for the metric century challenge (I counted one of the lunatic rides for both challenges in May), plus 3 of my rides from the '50' challenge.

All being well, I should start to catch up, with 3 rides of 161+ km planned for the next 3 weeks and hopefully a metric century squeezed in as well, plus a '50'.

lane

Veteran
Well that's June done and I have managed the two rides in this challenge I intended. That said June has been a bit of a disappointing month on the whole. Wrote off the first couple of weeks more or less with a cold and the rain. Had plans for a week last Saturday, which included a lie in, leisurely breakfast and then a long ride for this challenge. Realised about 10.30pm on the Friday I had a family commitment which would take up most of Saturday and mean getting up early!. So ended up getting out about 4.30pm on Saturday; absolutely fantastic evening and great 80km ride as turned out. Perfect riding conditions really. I do appreciate having the opportunity to take advantage of the long summer evenings this time of year.

Then yesterday a 120km ride with the cycling club and pleased to find I felt fine given its's quite a long distance for me and there seemed to be quite a few hills.

So onto July; got some good plans but will have to wait and see if they pan out or not.

Enjoying this challenge adds a different dimension to the all year round challenges.

Fiona R

Finished!

Well, completed anyway. I may do more rides of over 150km this year, though it's nice to have the option of 'long rides' from now on being just over 100km rather than just over 150km.

Fittingly, given that the whole I don't do winter challenge concept was his idea in the first place, my thirteenth ride was on @ColinJ 's excellent Yorkshire Dales / Ribble Valley forum ride yesterday.
Massive chapeau and congratulations, watching your Strava feed is knackering. I think you may have a few more in you yet :wacko:

Top Bottom