The Annual Lunacy (aka "I Don't Do Winter") Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
5 rides done.

I did a cut down version of The Shark, a beastly 200 km audax with 3,000 m of climbing that is sort of on my bucket list. The route itself almost goes past where I live and a bit of judicious hacking at the southern part of the route brought it down to 120 km with 2,100 m which enabled me to get home with plenty of the day left.

Nice sunny day. Lots of cyclists out.

Four guys on race bikes blew past me as I laboured up Toys Hill. They didn't fly past, they were definitely feeling it, but they gradually pulled out of sight. At the top of the steep section they had pulled over into the car park for a breather. But what they didn't realise is that the car park isn't the top of the hill. There's another couple of hundred metres of relatively gentle slope before you reach the top. So you know what that means? It means ... I WON. WOO HOO! GO ME! Eat my dust and weep into your deep section rims, losers. That cheered me up in a rather puerile way.

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
I tried last weekend and failed on 2 counts, only managed 187km and 147km instead of twox200km. :wacko: Not sure I can post it here, not really lunatic enough Lon Las Cymru I did try, honest!

Aravis

Putrid Donut
@Cranky Knee Girl in terms of lunacy that is several orders of magnitude greater than anything I'd attempt, or ever would have. A great read; I'm a little pleased, if that's an appropriate word, that you found the southern side of the Gospel quite tough as well, as that's the only side I've ever climbed and I always found it hard.

I have one more ride to add to the log, from August 3rd. That means for "Rolling Lunacy" I'm OK until September 19th. However, I now have shingles, quite a shock to the system, and although I would be physically capable of climbing on a bike I definitely won't want to for a while. So that particular challenge is in the balance once again.

I never thought I'd find myself describing "swollen left breast" to a doctor. I had to sent a photograph today so that diagnosis could be confirmed. Anyone want a look? Thought not.

It can be hard to keep smiling, but I'm doing my best. ^_^

bluenotebob

Veteran
However, I now have shingles, quite a shock to the system, and although I would be physically capable of climbing on a bike I definitely won't want to for a while.

Best wishes @Aravis ... I had shingles 11 years ago (in my face) and it knocked me for six. Once you're through the course of anti-virals, try some gentle rides .. but don't push it.

I hope you recover quickly !

Fiona R

@Cranky Knee Girl in terms of lunacy that is several orders of magnitude greater than anything I'd attempt, or ever would have. A great read; I'm a little pleased, if that's an appropriate word, that you found the southern side of the Gospel quite tough as well, as that's the only side I've ever climbed and I always found it hard.

I have one more ride to add to the log, from August 3rd. That means for "Rolling Lunacy" I'm OK until September 19th. However, I now have shingles, quite a shock to the system, and although I would be physically capable of climbing on a bike I definitely won't want to for a while. So that particular challenge is in the balance once again.

I never thought I'd find myself describing "swollen left breast" to a doctor. I had to sent a photograph today so that diagnosis could be confirmed. Anyone want a look? Thought not.

It can be hard to keep smiling, but I'm doing my best. ^_^
Keep smiling, shingles is hideous, apparently. Definitely don't start off too soon, viral load and the effect on your heart and all that.

Gospel up from Hay, the steep bit is at the bottom, always a bit hairy negotiating traffic at the same time but once out of the trees you know you're OK. I've always descended the other way, the long slog wasn't as long as I thought but the steep bit was grit standing up, refusal to give in and a bit of blue language.:laugh: I like my climbs ploddy, not steep.

I've literally just booked a cabin the other side of Hay for a few days in October to go and explore some more, hot meals, shower and comfy bed after a ride/walk rather than a wet tent. Better be careful what I take the husband on, but we have to go and find this elusive Mountain Road. I want to see Elan Valley without feeling scared and worrying about logistics. He's not been up Gospel on 2 wheels yet either :laugh: Well I survived taking him on the bit mad loop of Lakes and C2C and Hadrians Wall last month. Just writing that up too. Weather then was pretty bad sandwiched with one 30 degree day.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Best wishes for a quick recovery @Aravis :okay:

I'm still lagging behind with my own lunacy challenge rides but got another one done yesterday. 104.3 miles round the north of Shropshire in some lovely calm, sunny weather. Looking out at the howling gale, horizontal rain and scudding clouds today I can hardly believe the contrast.:ohmy: Write up here for those who like them: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/your-ride-today.173254/post-6112989

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Yes, best wishes and GWS, @Aravis. I've known a few people who had shingles and they didn't have a fun time with it...

As for my Lunacy Challenge... I either have to give up on the idea altogether this year, or get stuck in soon and average well over one qualifying ride a week if I want to avoid trudging up and down the A646/A6033 in December!

I somehow just haven't got into long rides this year. I am quite enjoying my local rides but the Covid-19 situation seems to have stolen my 2020 century-cycling mojo.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Thank you for the messages of support, people. They really have been a big help.

It's fairly early days, just a day and a half into the anti-viral treatment. Yesterday I obtained the strongest possible over-the-counter painkillers which contributed to a far more comfortable night than of late, so the situation is starting to feel manageable.

I can only use these painkillers for three days consecutively, so this morning I intend to ask the doctor for something a bit more targeted. My mother-in-law gets flare-ups and has given me the name of what she uses. Hopefully the doctor won't argue.

I have a good-quality elliptical trainer, somewhat underused, and once I'm able to exercise safely that should help me to ease myself back. I find the machine's most helpful program is a randomly-generated half hour of varying resistance which, mentally at least, strongly resembles riding along an undulating road, and I know roughly what numbers I should be able to clock up.

One bit of advice I did pick up was to be wary of comfort eating. Fair comment, but for now I'm following my instinct, if you get what I mean. Alcohol has been a bit of problem during lockdown, but it doesn't remotely feel as though that would help at the moment. Lets hope I can carry that forward...

Fiona R

Thank you for the messages of support, people. They really have been a big help.

It's fairly early days, just a day and a half into the anti-viral treatment. Yesterday I obtained the strongest possible over-the-counter painkillers which contributed to a far more comfortable night than of late, so the situation is starting to feel manageable.

I can only use these painkillers for three days consecutively, so this morning I intend to ask the doctor for something a bit more targeted. My mother-in-law gets flare-ups and has given me the name of what she uses. Hopefully the doctor won't argue.

I have a good-quality elliptical trainer, somewhat underused, and once I'm able to exercise safely that should help me to ease myself back. I find the machine's most helpful program is a randomly-generated half hour of varying resistance which, mentally at least, strongly resembles riding along an undulating road, and I know roughly what numbers I should be able to clock up.

One bit of advice I did pick up was to be wary of comfort eating. Fair comment, but for now I'm following my instinct, if you get what I mean. Alcohol has been a bit of problem during lockdown, but it doesn't remotely feel as though that would help at the moment. Lets hope I can carry that forward...
Sounds like you have a very sensible plan. Here's hoping it all works.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I somehow just haven't got into long rides this year. I am quite enjoying my local rides but the Covid-19 situation seems to have stolen my 2020 century-cycling mojo.
You're not the only one. I thought through the summer months I'd easily have done about three more centuries than I've actually managed. Either things getting in the way or plain lack of motivation. Having cramp problems on practically every long ride since last summer hasn't helped motivation in the slightest. This latest ride was good though so I'm feeling more positive about catching up than I've been for a while.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Having cramp problems on practically every long ride since last summer hasn't helped motivation in the slightest.
It wouldn't - cramp is horrid!

I haven't had cramp problems for years but did for a couple of years when I first got back into cycling. I think I had my bike setup slightly wrong and I definitely wasn't eating and drinking enough.

Any idea what is causing your cramps?

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
It wouldn't - cramp is horrid!

I haven't had cramp problems for years but did for a couple of years when I first got back into cycling. I think I had my bike setup slightly wrong and I definitely wasn't eating and drinking enough.

Any idea what is causing your cramps?
I'm fairly sure it's the bike setup. I found a setup I thought was good quite a while back and ended up replicating it across all the bikes. The problems with cramp didn't show up straight away but were getting worse and it was starting to come on earlier in rides which clearly wasn't right.

Trying out a new saddle earlier in the year made me rethink how I'd got them all set up and I've been trying to get it right most of the spring and summer. After going back to first principles the cramp didn't come on during the ride on monday. Hopefully I'm on the right track now.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I'm another one who's been missing my regular commute, due to a change of job in late 2019 as much as the lockdown this year. And then I stayed local during lockdown because I didn't want to crash and burden an A&E dept! As a result have done very few rides, and certainly nothing like my 60km target.

Nearly did it a week or so ago but was just short. Didn't make that mistake today - added some extra twiddly bits to my route to bring the total above my target.

Mind you, 12 more rides in just 4 months is feeling an unlikely target, but not impossible.

Lunacy 2020 completed.

Just under three calendar months again, though the 'wrong' ones due to the June start - it feels much more pressured, with sunset getting earlier, than last year when available light was always later, up until my last ride. I may well not do any more qualifying rides this year, though there's a month or so when I'd still consider them possible, albeit with an unappealingly early start (before 1100).

I keep toying with the idea of upping the target to 200km next year, but I seriously doubt I'd manage it. Maybe a stretch to an imperial century might be viable. Aiming for the same distance does simplify the signature though ...

Thanks @bluenotebob . I was just typing this as you posted. I probably will relegate at least one of them, assuming fine weather (huge assumption, that !), as there's a planned route I've not done which I'd like to. Thereafter, my break from Lunacy rides will be until at least the end of March, when the clocks change !

Top Bottom