The Annual Lunacy (aka "I Don't Do Winter") Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Got my latest done yesterday. 106.7 miles over a couple of loops around Shrewsbury. Much harder work than it should have been given the bike I used and the nice weather. I probably should have cut it short when I realised I was struggling but stubbornness took over.:blush:

The ride report is here for those interested: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/your-ride-today.173254/post-6068765

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Thank you @bluenotebob for the reminder that my log entry was still out of date. Corrected now.

The anticipated return of DiY Audaxing in August means that now is actually a good time for a breather. If I looked at my activity over the years I'd expect to see a tendency towards twin peaks in the spring and autumn. You could say that I don't do summer.

bluenotebob

Veteran
Thank you @bluenotebob for the reminder that my log entry was still out of date. Corrected now.

You're welcome. That post wasn't intended as a reminder to anyone, but if that's what happened, then tant mieux.

I noticed that I'd already completed 9 qualifying rides by 11 July last year - this year I've done two... my plan is to do one a week from now on. I had intended to do another one today but … I know … man plans, God laughs .. well, the weather gods had a good laugh this morning. A really chilly and brisk NW wind put paid to the idea of going out for a long ride.

The weather looks better on Friday ..

steverob

Guru
Welcome @Dogtrousers !

I've just looked back over the 2020 Loony ride thread and it looks like there are now 12 active competitors in this year's challenge (Lane pulled out earlier) … one more would make it a nice 13 .. which I think is the same number as last year.

If anyone's interested, here's the list - not in any order - and apologies if I missed anyone (or got the number of rides wrong)

Aferris - 7 rides
Andy In Germany - 2 rides
Super Super Leeds - 4 rides
Cranky Knee Girl - 5 rides
Aravis - 4 rides
Bazzer - 5 rides
Rickshaw Phil - 5 rides
Colin J - 1 ride
Sea of Vapours - 6 rides
Steve Rob - 3 rides
Dogtrousers - 4 rides
BlueNoteBob - 2 rides
Yes, indeed there were 13 people who started the challenge last year, so we are at least already matching that (I would still include Lane myself as he did post at least one ride and there's nothing stopping him from posting more if he changes his mind).

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Ouch! :eek:

bluenotebob

Veteran
Unfortunately, descending a hill after about 23km I an insect hit me in the mouth and stung me on the lip before dying. It seemed a bit of a churlish thing to do, but I suppose if you are going to die you might as well go out with a sting.

Commiserations - that looks very painful. I hope you recover quickly

Seventh Lunacy ride completed today, so over half way, which is encouraging. It would be nice if there was some summer to get them done in though. Today featured rain of excitingly varied intensity for the latter 2/3 of the distance, combined with a pretty feisty wind and temperatures in the low teens: a rather poor autumn day in other words!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It really is about time that I thought about doing my second qualifying ride of the year! :whistle:

(But despite strict anti-coronavirus precautions, it looks like I have still managed to catch a common cold so that will have to wait a while...)

steverob

Guru
Fourth ride done today, which will be my last one for July.

Looking for at least three in both August and September and possibly two in October, which would leave me with just one more to squeeze in somewhere in order to complete. However I said something like that last year and didn't end up managing a single long ride after the middle of August, so I'm not counting my chickens by any means.

Top Bottom